2. halo

"Kim Sunoo," Jay told Niki. "That handwriting belongs to Kim Sunoo."

"NO WAY—" Niki yelped, getting up from his seat and darting over to where Jay was sitting. He looked at the notebook, and indeed, it read 'Kim Sunoo' in the same familiar black messy cursive.

"Why, someone you know?"

"He is the guy I've been talking about!"

"No way, that senior who you find cute is this guy?" Heeseung asked, appalled.

"Yes! Now I can't leave him hanging, I have a crush on him, for fuck's sake."

"Write back, I can be your messenger," Jay suggested.

"What do I write back?"

"I don't know, just scrawl a heart on a piece of paper and leave it in his locker?" Heeseung advised.

"That's actually a good idea," Jay chimed in, pointing a pen towards Heeseung. "Nice and subtle."

And so that's what he did. He ripped a sheet of paper out of his drawing book, and carefully drew a nice heart on it, also deciding to be fancy and draw a character inside the heart that seemed to ever so slightly resemble Sunoo.

Now, when Sunoo received this note a few days later, he was overjoyed, to say the least. He consulted Sunghoon, Jake, and Jungwon on what to do next, and the four boys sat on opposite sides of each other on the lunch table, discussing with great intrigue the former events.

"Look, clearly Leeyoung knows who you are; he managed to draw you vaguely," Jungwon rationalised, pointing at the note on the table. "Writing him another pickup line to test it is a brilliant idea, thank you, Jake."

"Is it not going too far though?" Sunoo wondered, putting a piece of meat in his mouth.

"You began this. Finish it off bravely," Sunghoon encouraged.

"It's honestly worth a shot. You only live once, Sunoo. Make the most of it." Jake's statement was the last before Sunoo was fully convinced.

"Okay. Yes, I'll do it."

The other three boys all cheered, rejoicing over Sunoo's decision.

"So, which one do I write?"

"There are many options," Sunghoon, king of flirting began, setting his chopsticks down. "The classic, 'do you have an extra heart? Because I think mine's been stolen' or there's 'God bless you! But it looks like they already have'."

Jake suggested, "Why not try something simple and more aesthetic, like the stars one. Like, 'did it hurt when you fell from heaven?'"

"That's a good one, actually, Jake," Sunoo said as he raised an eyebrow.

"Are we settling for that one then?" Jungwon asked Sunoo through a mouthful of food, who nodded in response.

--

After he came back home from school, Sunoo began writing the words on a note of paper, not forgetting to add a winky face in the end. He drew a miniature halo with angel wings on one corner of the paper too and folded it up nicely. He placed it delicately in his file so he would not lose it.

The next morning, the first thing Sunoo did was slip the note and coffee (americano, this time) into "Leeyoung's" locker, and then scamper off to class.

Coincidentally, the first thing Niki did that day was open his locker, mainly to check if Sunoo had put anything there. His eyes lit up with a thousand fireworks as soon as he saw the note.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" Only one thing played in Niki's mind when he heard this; a reply. Imagine replying to a pickup line. Only someone like Nishimura Riki would do that.

He took his sketchbook out again, and began writing, "no, because I fell right into your arms."

Smooth, he thought, a smirk crawling up his lips. He took the sketchbook and coffee to class, and sipped the drink while drawing a boy, Sunoo, with an angel in his arms — himself. A perfect depiction of the words he was replying with.

At the end of the day, an exhausted Sunoo flung the blue metal door of his locker open to put his books all back, when he noticed the newest letter. He perked up almost immediately, smiling wide as he unfolded the piece of paper. His jaw dropped when his eyes wandered over the drawing of a boy with an angel in his arms.

He wasted no time; he bounded towards Sunghoon and Jake and thrust the paper into their hands.

"I JUST FOUND THIS IN MY LOCKER AND I'M FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. HELP ME," Sunoo spluttered.

By this time, Jungwon had walked across the hallway towards the group, and was peering at the letter as well.

"Oh my lord," Jake muttered.

"Is this a good sign?!" Sunoo asked, panicking ever so slightly.

"Are you delusional?" Jungwon asked.

"Or running a fever?" Sunghoon added.

"No, and no," Sunoo replied, eyebrows knitted.

"Then how do you not see that this is definitely a good sign?!" Jungwon pressed.

"What do I do now?"

"Take it a step forward," Jake encouraged, weaving his hand through his lush black hair.

"Ask to meet him. Like, go on a date but not really a date. Get it?" Sunghoon suggested.

"No way."

"Yes way!" Jungwon swatted Sunoo on the arm lightly before rubbing the area he had hit.

"Write another letter," Jake said.

And so that's what Sunoo did. He flipped out his notebook and began writing a letter.

The most important letter.

Finally! I've been really busy, so updates may be delayed. I apologise :(