Devastating Death [36]

Start from the beginning

Y/N: We're here. North-Northwest of where we're at now there are some woods. That's most likely where our target's at.

Mikio: Are we going now? The sun is setting.

Y/N: Let's head over in that direction first before we go in. Once the sun fully goes down, we go in.

Mikio: Understood!

We walked through the village and got strange stares from the locals. Between my bright haori and giant sword, I stuck out like a sore thumb in that village. Mikio wasn't much better... Her indigo-blue hair and silver haori didn't fit in.

Mikio: They're staring at us, master.

Y/N: They probably haven't seen anything like us come through here before. Just keep walking, we'll be fine.

We walked further until we reached the outskirts of the village. A trail lead off into a forest and there was a sign in the ground that read, "Enter with caution."

Y/N: That's definitely our place. We've got some time before the sun goes down, though.

I heard Mikio's stomach rumble as we stood there looking off down the path.

Y/N: You haven't eaten today, huh?

Mikio: No, but I can take it.

Y/N: Stay here and make sure nobody goes down this path. I'll be back in a minute.

I walked through the village in search of somewhere to get food for Mikio. I found a shop where I could get rice and tonkatsu for cheap. I purchased a bowl of rice, tonkatsu, and cabbage to go. I went back over to where I left Mikio and saw her on alert guarding the path.

**Good work, she's not slacking even for a moment. Her work ethic is probably better than mine.**

Y/N: Here you go.

I handed her the food and took on guard duty while she sat down on a bench.

Mikio: Senpai, aren't you going to eat too?

Y/N: No. I'm used to going days even weeks without proper food consumption. Enjoy that and get your energy up before dark.

She hesitated to eat and looked like she wanted to offer me some of the food. But, in following orders, she started to eat.

Mikio: Thank you very much sensei.

Y/N: Don't mention it. I forgot a drink, I'll be back again.

She grabbed ahold of my haori before I could walk off.

Mikio: No, it's okay. You're already doing enough for me.

Y/N: You sure? That shop isn't far.

Mikio: I'm sure.

I kept guard for a while as she ate. I fended off curious children who wanted to explore and turned back people who had lost their way. I wasn't letting anybody get into those woods until me and Mikio were done.

Mikio: Sensei Y/N?

Y/N: Yes?

Mikio: I didn't know what to expect from you at first, but you're so nice. I think you're my favorite.

Y/N: Favorite Hashira? You just haven't met Mitsuri or Rengoku yet then.

Mikio: Not Hashira. Person.

I looked down at her. She had her head down and she was kicking up dirt.

Mikio: Not a lot of people in this world are inherently kind. A lot of people I've come across in the past have done me wrong... But even still, I know I'm strong enough to take it, so I never retaliated no matter how much I wanted to.