⭒7⭒

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***

A few weeks had passed by, Near hadn't left your side for more than 5 minutes at a time.

"Near this is ridiculous, I'm all healed now, and I'm fine! There's no need for me to stay in bed all day. I'm bored! I want to go to the park and feed the ducks." Near ignored you and continued attempting to feed you chicken soup.

"Please stop resisting Kitty, you must eat and rest properly to regain your strength" he shoved the spoon full of soup into your mouth.

"I habe rebained moy strengt!" you tried to reason with him despite your full mouth.

You gulped down the soup and grabbed it from his hands, placing it on the nightstand.

"That's it! We are both going to feed the ducks together!" you jumped out of bed and grabbed Near's hand.

"But y-"

"RIGHT NOW NEARIE!"

You dragged him to the cafeteria and asked the chef for some stale bread pieces and made your way down to the pond in Wammy's house's backyard.

You both sat at the bench by the pond, snuggling up to each other and throwing pieces of bread to the ducks.

Near put an arm around you, pulling you tight against his warm chest. You let out a gentle sigh of happiness.

It couldn't get better than this...

A small duckling walked up towards you and sat by your feet. You giggled and picked it up.

"Look Nearie, isn't he cute?"

"Not as cute as you" he playfully kissed your cheek.

You turned around and wrapped your arms around his neck.

"Kat, I'll never leave your side for as long as I live. I'll always be there for you ok Kitty? Please never forget." he said in a sincere tone, his gentle gray eyes staring into your e/c ones.

He gently laced his cold fingers in between yours.

"I won't forget Near, I promise to never leave you by yourself... unless you ask me to."

"As if I'd ever ask that" he giggled, rolling his eyes.

Slowly over the past few years, Near had changed. However, the change became much more evident the moment your relationship began.

You suspected that the emotionless Near was just a facade...

No, you KNEW it was just a facade. You just couldn't figure out why...

It's not like you could just ask him about it, as it may reveal unsavoury memories he doesn't want to relive.

The way he acted with you was different. His voice was playful, gentle, and loving; it was nothing like the voice he uses while talking to other people.

He never seems genuinely happy with the others in the orphanage, but when he spends time with you he radiates happiness. An energetic Near is quite the sight to see.

It's almost as if the real Near is somewhere inside his emotionless exterior.

It's obvious his way of portraying himself is just a coping mechanism, probably caused by some sort of trauma...

Oh Near...

I wish I knew what it was so I could help, but I don't want to rush him. I know he will tell me when he feels comfortable.