02.| mesopotamia

Chapter 2
"It's just a feeling"

Chapter 2"It's just a feeling"

THE NIGHT SKY was deep, but it always brought Nyx a sense of peace

THE NIGHT SKY was deep, but it always brought Nyx a sense of peace. From the tranquility of the countless stars, constellations and the moon to the serenity and quietness of the nearby trees swaying in the gentle breeze, the night never ceased to bring Nyx at ease.

For the last two months, she's spent many nights alone by the shore where she could freely explore her power without consequence.

It had been decided by Ajak that for the greater good she was to stay behind along with the other 'thinkers' of the group which consisted of Sprite, Sersi, Phastos, Druig and Ajak herself to help enhance civilization at their own speed whilst the other members such as Ikaris, Thena, Gilgamesh, Makkari and Kingo went deviant hunting. Nyx grew envious of their freedom to fight especially her closest friends but all they could do was give her a sympathetic smile and tell her that it was for her own good.

When the group first discovered her ability, they too felt indifferent as Nyx did in the beginning. They felt as though she could be a great asset in the battle against the deviants but Ajak persuaded them differently. She further explained how Nyx's power had limits. Nyx, in utter disbelief, demonstrated all of what she could do to prove she was mistaken but to her dismay, Ajak had been right. The group's indifferences faded away as did Nyx's hope to be a fighter and the team disbanded quicker than she'd realized leaving her to wallow in despair.

Nyx felt disappointment within herself. She was granted the most powerful gift of magic but every time she twirled her fingers she could only conjure up enough magic to heal nature and the wounded. She truly believed that she could do more, but Ajak revealed that with magic comes spells and she wasn't ready for that kind of power yet. There wasn't any spell books around that could help her on her own and her lack of conviction for them only motivated her to find a way. So, Nyx spent many nights away from the group on her own to practice her magic hoping that one day she could prove them wrong, and that's when she learned how to conjure up any figment of her imagination.