[ Chapter 24 ]

Colby walked around the corner only to find Rebecca sitting on the couch, legs crossed, concentrating on the book in front of her.

Ever since she found out Colby was letting Riley out of the house more, Holly had been adamant about taking the little girl for a day out just the two of them. So, Holly took Riley out for most of the day, leaving the other two alone. Some time had passed since the two had kissed, and neither of them really knew how to approach it next.

Colby figured he pushed it enough and made it clear where he stood, whereas the rest was up to her. He didn't know why he felt so compelled to keep her in his life, but suddenly he found himself fearing a future without her in it.

Rebecca on the other hand didn't want to impose or get in the way of his normal family dynamic. She knew he hadn't been in a relationship since Sarah, and she didn't want to accidentally make him feel uncomfortable by moving forward at a pace he didn't want.

Colby walked behind her, leaning close to her ear before whispering. "You ready?"

Rebecca jumped up slightly, evidently caught off guard. "Yeah."

"Perfect." He walked in front of her and grabbed her hands, pulling her up. "Let's go."

"Do you know what time they're gonna be back?" She moved to put on her shoes.

"Whoa whoa, Quin." He put his hands up, "At least take me out to dinner before trying to get me in bed."

She rolled her eyes with a smile, "I just wanna know when we should have the food ready."

"Don't stress." He picked up his keys, "We'll be done in time."

Rebecca shook her head, "Colby, a walk or ride to the supermarket will take at least an hour, and that doesn't even account for the actual shopping time and way back."

"Then we'll drive." He shrugged, grabbing another set of keys from a drawer.

"Drive?" She watched him closely, "We don't have a car to drive in."

"Speak for yourself." Colby smiled while putting on his shoes.

"You're such a liar." She laughed, "You don't have a car."

Colby led Rebecca down to the apartment's parking garage, he clicked the keys, and Rebecca saw the car in front of them unlock. "You have a car?!"

Colby laughed at her dropped jaw, "Yes, I do."

Rebecca put her hands on her hips, "You've had a car, but you've just decided to let us walk and ride the subway around without mentioning it?"

"To be fair, you never asked." He responded while getting into the car.

Rebecca got in and stayed quiet for a while as Colby drove. "So when you would take the subway to campus with me, you could've taken your car?"

"Yeah." He nodded, looking over at her for a split second.

"Why didn't you?" She watched him closely as he drove.

"I don't know." He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, "I guess I just liked spending that time with you."

They made it to the supermarket and began shopping for things Colby needed and specific ingredients they wanted to pick up for the dinner they were going to be cooking together.

It was then that Rebecca realized that Colby didn't do the shopping for his household. She laughed as he stared at two different brands of cheese, frustrated because he couldn't tell the difference between them.

"Okay, but why are they all selling the same thing?!" He threw his hands up, "I don't understand."

"Look." She shook her head and grabbed the cheese from him. "This one is a dollar more even though they're the same size."

She laughed as he rolled his eyes, "So, in this case, it makes more sense to buy the other one."

"Well, I get that." He squinted at her as she put it in their cart. "I just don't understand why they can't just have one company sell cheese, one sell bread, one sell this, and one sell that. Each company should only be allowed to sell one thing."

"Colby." She laughed, "How is anyone else supposed to make money then? It's all about the economy."

"Great, so now you're my English and economics teacher?" He pushed the cart forward.

"I'm any teacher you need." She responded, looking at her list. "Which is clearly just a life coach at this point."

"You won't hear me complaining." He smiled, and she rolled her eyes with another laugh.

They continued walking through the aisles and picking up what they needed. As Rebecca was reading and comparing expiration dates on the lettuce heads, Colby recognized her favourite song playing on the store's overhead speakers.

He watched her smile as she heard it, and when she brought the lettuce and put it in the cart, he stopped her from pushing it forward.

She stared at his hand on her wrist confused, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He smiled, "It's your song."

She felt herself being pulled towards him, and she laughed. "What are you doing?"

He just smiled and closed his eyes, holding Rebecca by her hips as he began swaying the both of them from side to side.

"You're nuts, you know?" She laughed as she placed her head against his chest.

He shrugged with a grin, "As long as it keeps that smile on your face, you can call me whatever you want."

"Everything?" She asked, and he instantly realized he shouldn't have been so broad.

He chuckled, "Okay, maybe not everything..."

"No, no. You said everything." She thought for a moment, "I think my new nickname for you will be maple tree."

"Maple tree?!" Colby stopped and immediately looked at her like she was crazy. "Why?"

Rebecca scrunched her nose up when she smiled, "Because you're sappy as hell."