[ Chapter 13 ]

"Thank you for doing that." Colby wiped down the counters as Rebecca washed some dishes. "She doesn't have a real mother figure in her life, and I can't be both for her."

Rebecca smiled, "When she has a great father like you, she doesn't need a mother figure to know what a whole family feels like."

Colby paused and grinned, "I think she likes having you around."

"I like being around her." Rebecca replied, turning off the tap, before begging to dry the dishes.

Throughout their weeks of studying, they had gotten to know each other very well, and it was obvious to everyone around them that the two were quickly creating a strong bond. They had gotten to know each other more than most of the other people in their respective lives.

Something about felt alarmingly natural, and for two people who weren't the best at opening up, the other definitely brought out the best in them. They found themselves wanting to talk more, tell each other more, whereas when it came to anyone else, it seemed like more of a chore.

"Sometimes I worry that she's not going to be able to experience everything that kids with mothers do." Colby started, "I mean, I'm not a mom, and I don't know how to be one."

Rebecca listened as he continued, "It scares me to think that one day I'll be left out of the loop, and she won't tell me things anymore because I can't be that person for her."

"You won't be." Rebecca shook her head, "She knows that you're nothing but supportive and will always listen. She may be young, but it doesn't take a genius to recognize when someone cares."

Colby nodded, taking in her words, "Not many people know she even exists."

"Who does?" Rebecca questioned curiously.

"Other than you, I only told Joseph, and somehow Jonathan wound up in the mix." Colby replied, "It's not that I want her to be a secret... I just want to protect her.

Colby's words made Rebecca wonder if Riley had ever left the apartment before. She knew that children needed to be able to explore the world around them to help them prepare for adulthood. But it wasn't hard to see how protective Colby was over her.

"I understand where you're coming from." Rebecca turned to him, "But at some point, you're going to have to let her experience things that are outside of these walls."

"I know, I blame myself for the isolation. But I just can't shake the paranoia. I don't want anything to happen to her." He stopped wiping and moved, so his back was against the counter. "I let Sarah mess me up. I trusted her, just to find out she was having an affair behind my back even after she found out she was pregnant."

Rebecca stared at him quietly, "Is there a chance that-"

"No." Colby shook his head, "I made sure to have tests done. Riley is my child."

He paused, "I just- I don't want my lack of trust in people to affect Riley and alter who she is, even though I know it will. She's always been bubbly and excitable, and I've never really been like that. Trying to navigate this whole parent thing alone is difficult, I mean, half of the time, I don't even know what I'm doing."

She nodded before walking towards him and resting her hand on his shoulder. "You're doing your best Colby, and from what I've seen, you're an amazing dad."

He looked up at her as she continued, "Riley is happy, it's obvious that she adores you, and she's a good kid."

Rebecca smiled, lowering her hand from his shoulder, "I know I'm no math genius, but those sound like three big pluses to me."

"They are." He nodded, moving his hands to grab hers as he fiddled around with her fingers. "But she seems to really like you. So that would make four."

The smile on her face made Colby's heart flutter, "I can see why you want to be a teacher. You're a natural."

"You think so?" She watched him fidget with each of her fingers softly.

"It's not hard to see Becks." He rubbed his thumb back and forth on her palm, "You don't give yourself enough credit."

He looked down, "I'm sorry about the guys earlier. I'm not trying to use studying as a way to... sway you into anything."

She nodded, "It's okay, I know. You don't have to keep apologizing."

"You genuinely help me." Colby spoke, knowing it meant more than she'd understand. "Thank you."

The look in his eyes told a much more in-depth story, and Rebecca knew that. However, she didn't want to read in-between the lines until he was ready to open up to her.

So instead, she just smiled, still feeling his fingers twirling around hers, "Anytime."

Colby just stared into Rebecca's eyes in silence. He'd be lying if he said he didn't feel an immediate spark with her. It was something he hadn't felt since Riley was born, and more than anything, it scared him, even though it gave him a strange sense of comfort.

Rebecca didn't know what to think, she just knew if she thought too much, she'd find some way to mess everything up. She knew if she overstimulated her body by feeling too many emotions and thinking too many things, nothing good would come of it.

But, there they stood, face to face, unmoving while staring into one another's eyes.

"Now, kiss!" The two immediately shot their heads over to Riley, who was peering over the top of one of the couches.

Colby released Rebecca's hands and cleared his throat, moving over to Riley, "You are supposed to be asleep little lady."

Rebecca laughed, while the little girl squirmed around in her father's grasp, "Help me, Becca!"

"Goodnight, troublemaker." She responded before they disappeared, and she was left alone with her thoughts.