Chapter Seven

Talia jumps onto Jack's back as they wait to be told to go on stage "Comfy?" Jack chuckles

Talia jumps onto Jack's back as they wait to be told to go on stage "Comfy?" Jack chuckles. "Yep." she smiles. Henley walks over "Ready?" she asks. "Of course." Talia grins jumping off her brother's back. "Arthur Tressler presents Talia Wilder, Jack Wilder, Henley Reeves, Merritt McKinney, and Daniel Atlas. The Five Horsemen." the announcer introduces them. "What is magic? Our argument, nothing but targeted deception. So I want you to look. Look as closely as possible. Because the tricks you are about to see may not seem connected. But we assure you, they are. Is what follows 100 different tricks? Or is it one giant illusion?" Danny asks making the audience cheer.

Talia walks on stage "Now here I have the newspaper report on our last show in Las Vegas just a couple of days ago. Let's have a look 'Theives?' Our that really breaks my heart. You know what I'm jus going to rip this newspaper up, actually sir? Would you mind ripping it up for me? Anyway you like." Talia smiles handing the paper to a man in the audience. The man rips the paper up "Thank you. Now, let's see if we can change the report into something happy. Maybe a picture of something cute. Could I have some ideas for the audience?" Talia asks making people call out different things. "Puppy in a basket?" Talia asks making people cheer. "Puppy in a basket it is." she nods taking the corner paper and pushing her hands together. Opening them she opens the paper in her hands to reveal a picture of a puppy in a basket "Aw, so cute. But you know what's even cuter?" Talia asks putting the paper on the table so it's stood facing the audience. "An actual puppy." she smiles picking up a puppy from behind the paper, making the audience cheer.

Talia walks on stage as Merritt talks to the audience "Every last one of you is dead wrong about what you think is in your account. Okay, you can sit down now. Oh! Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. This evening would not be possible if it weren't for our great benefactor Arthur Tressier." he tells the audience. "Big applause! Big applause! Art, actually, why don't you come up on stage for the finale?" Danny tells him. "Come on down, Art!" Merritt calls. "Come on down, Art!" Henley smiles. "Now, Art, did you fill out your envelope? Well, no need. We've done it for you." Talia tells him as Jack walks out with a giant envelope. "Now, Art, I took a guess. North of 140. Am I right? That's 140 million, by the way." Merritt says, Henry taking the card out the envelope. "I'm sorry, Merritt. How can he be right about his balance
and everyone else be wrong?" Henley asks. "I think possibly because he, too, is wrong. Everybody, take out your paper. And using the flashlight under your seat, start to warm up that paper. I think your correct balance begins to appear." Merritt tells the audience. "Now, Art, don't worry, we have a flashlight for you. Yes." Talia smiles as her brother comes out with a giant light making the audience laugh. "What's going on there, Daniel?" Merritt asks. "Wait. This is weird. A second ago, it said $144,579,651. But now... Now it says $70,000 less." Danny responds.

"Josepha, can you stand up? Now, what is your new number?" Merritt asks a lady in the audience. "$70,562 now in my account." Joseph's responds. "Is it possible that Josepha's balance went up the exact amount that Art's went down?" Henley asks. "Hey. Check it out. It's happening again." Jack smirks. "Is it?" Danny asks. "Wow. It is. Art's balance has gone down another 280K." Henley announces. "Dina Robertson? What did yours say?" Merritt asks. "$281,477." Dina responds causing the audience to cheer. "We have a confession to make." Henley starts. "She's right. We lied about something." Jack nods. "Yes. None of you were chosen at random." Danny says. "All of you have one thing in common." Merritt continues. "Everyone in this room was a victim of the hard times that hit one of America's most treasured cities." Talia says. "Some of you lost your houses, your cars." Merritt tells them. "Your businesses." Jack adds. "Your loved ones. But all of you were insured by the same company." Danny finishes. "Tressler Insurance." the five of them say at the same time. "You were abandoned." Merritt tells them. "You were loopholed..." Talia adds. "...out of your settlements."Jack continues. "This is all for show. Correct?" Art asks them. "'All' meaning we're doing it onstage in front of a paying audience? Then, yes, it's for show." Henley responds.

A man in the audience suddenly stands up "Whoa! Whoa! I've got $82,000 in my bank account! It says it right here on my cell phone! Everybody, look at your cell phones right now! Everybody!" he exclaims making everyone start to check their phones and begin to cheer. "Hey! Did you do this?" Art asks. "How could we, Art?" Talia asks him. "We don't have your password." Jack points out. "We'd need access to information we could never get our hands on." Henley tells him. "Ah, yes, security questions, for instance, like, I don't know, your mother's maiden name or the name of your first pet." Danny continues. "Where would we get that information, Art? You certainly would never tell us." Merritt finishes as they all head to the back of the stage. "Hey, we left you the jet and the Rolls." Talia tells him with a smirk as the audience starts shouting at Art. Dylan starts running through the crowd "Stop! Stop! Nobody move! Freeze!" he shouts. "Quarterback!" Someone shouts before a group of people run and tackle him to the floor. "We are The Five Horsemen. Good night." the five smiles before being lifted away by the ropes they're holding.

The five of them run onto the roof and away from the Interpol agent who is running after them "Meet where we discussed!" Danny tells them as they split off. Jack grabs Talia's hand as they run through the crowd "Excuse me." Talia says as they push through, heading to their meet up point. The siblings keep running til they get to the back ally they all decided to meet at, hiding a car there ready "Everyone here?" Talia asks as she tries to catch his breath. "Just waiting Danny but he had to put the tracker on Rhodes." Henley responds making her nod. Just then Danny runs over "Come one we've got a plane to catch." he tells them climbing in the car, the others copying.