Ch. 4

"We've landed sir." The flight attendant tells me.

I give him a nod, I gather my laptop and work before disembarking.

Today is the day I collect my triplets. I sent all of the paperwork to officially gain their custody and prove who I am yesterday, so hopefully what’s her name doesn’t take too long to let me see them.

As I jump in the car, I close my eyes hoping that these kids are really mine. They’ll be like my second chance. I won’t let them turn out like me.

Arriving at the office building I’m meeting Margaret Pews at, I park the car and enter. My nerves are all over the place and anxiety naws at my stomach, but I force myself to continue on.

“I have an appointment with Margaret Pews.” I tell the woman at reception, giving her a wink.

A slight blush flushes her cheeks, “She’ll be right with you sir. You can wait over there.”

I nod and move to sit where she told me. Margaret doesn’t keep me waiting long, and once I see her, she looks excited, but I can’t tell what she’s excited about. It could be getting rid of the kids or that they’ll have a home after losing their mother.

“Hello Mr. Sky. How was your flight?” she asks as we move into her office.

“It was fine. Let’s get everything sorted shall we?” I dismiss her, eager to skip the small talk.

Margaret nods her head and looks down at her notes, “So we’ve received everything we need from you. I just need to go over a few more details with you before we can release the children into your custody.”

I gesture for her to continue when she looks to me for confirmation that I understand.

“Well, considering the circumstances we are going to have you and the children on monthly check-ins with a social worker in your area to make sure everything is running smoothly. We also want to make sure that kids have access to a phone so if they don’t feel comfortable they can contact their new social worker or the police. We don’t expect them to need it, but just in case.”

Shock goes through my system at her words, but I understand them. “I understand. It’s just sad that it’s a necessary precaution.”

She nods sympathetically. “We just wanna make sure the kids have a safe environment to grow up in.”

“Do you have a number or anything that I should have for the new social worker? I wanna make sure the number gets programmed into the triplets phones.” I ask.

“Yeah I have it here somewhere.” she mutters as she searches her desktop and drawers till she finds a sticky note with the number written neatly on it and hands it to me. “Alright let’s go see your kiddos, if you don’t have any more questions.”

Shaking my head, she leads me out of the room and down the hallway to a room that looks set up for kids to hang out in. Inside I see 3 children and a man waiting. The man is wearing a suit and looks incredibly out of place in the childish room.

There are 2 little boys and 1 girl, who all have the same blonde hair color. The girl is the tallest and one of the boys is almost her height, but the other boy is little compared to his siblings. They are all facing away from the door in a little huddle, playing a game.

As we enter he stands up to greet us, “Hello again Ms. Pews. I assume this is Mr. Sky?”

She shakes his hand, “Yes, hello Mr. Pomme. Mr. Sky meet Mr. Pomme, your ex-wife’s lawyer. He has some things to discuss with you.”