Chapter 3- The Family Reunions

"Ow, my head hurts." Jen raised off the bed rubbing her head from the after effect.

"Hey sleepyhead wondering when you were going to wake up." I placed the pill and some water on the bedside table.

"Hey... Thanks, you looked all dressed up where are you heading to?"

"A family reunion, my sister's downstairs she thought we had sex and I'm denying it." I sneered.

"Did we?"

"Come on I'll never do that, you were too tenacious you wanted to sleep in my room so I let you." I sighed.

She took up the glass of water trying to hide her smile. She took the pills and drank the water and wiped her lips. Then sat there for a while, I went and sat beside her.

"What are your plans for today?" I asked looking at her fingers.

"Well I don't have much to do today than sleep, no one has time for me anyway."

"Okay, I'll give you the address and wear something formal." A smile formed on her lips.

"Hey bruv" I heard while walking down the stairs.

"Huh?"

"So you're going to tell our nosey parents aren't you?" She smirked spinning my car keys around her finger.

"How many times do I have to tell you the same thing," I walked past her.

"Come on big brother, I need something to bring me back to life. Not uncles' stories." She dragged herself behind me.

"What's wrong with it?"

"I did a lot of bad things and I know the consequences but that's not a punishment it's death. Itself." She exaggerated.

"His story isn't that bad...okay find they are horrible." She made an 'I know right' facial expression. "But you are not gonna use Jen to get you out of it."

"Is she coming?"

"Who?"

"Your guest, Jen." She smiled like she was bribing me to say yes but she had the upper hand, I already did.

"I don't know why you're so caught up in my love life." I turned around.

"Cause you're boring and the one none boring thing I could think about is; your love life which is getting spicy."

"Let's go before mom and dad cancel."  She skipped past me and went straight to the car. No matter how I tried to get angry at her I can't.

I drove to our mom and dads' house and to my surprise big sis and her family were there already. We went inside and I took up Taio.

"Hey uncwu Zhan, mommy buy pens for...me" he fiddled with the crayon.

"That's so sweet, mommy got you pens," I laughed at the name he gave to the crayon. Love this kid.

"Hey Zhan," Lena took Taio from me and placed him at the kid's section. "Family time starts in 5 minutes, I need you to hurry and drink some coffee and something to shut down your brain for an hour."

"Uncle made it didn't he?" I asked to hope for an answer other than yes, but it wasn't. "Kill me now so I don't commit suicide." We both laughed.

"So did you bring anyone?"

"That's if she's coming, I invited Jen."

"Is she your girlfriend?" She asked smirking.

"No my work partner, she didn't have anything to do with her day so I invited her over," I explained.

"That's what they all say." She replied and walked over to her husband.

Everybody gathered around the table after straightening the place, mom and dad came shortly after and we greeted each other.

"So my son, haven't seen you since you decided you were too big for a family get-together." My mom remarked after kissing me on the cheek.

"Mom, it's not just me, I have to work and that takes a lot of time," I explained.

"Now that you're here let us pray before we eat." Mom suggested.

"I'll pray," Uncle exclaims while pulling closer to my dad.

"No dear last time you prayed we were five years into the future." We all laughed not only because it's funny but because it's true uncle had too much to say.

Mom prayed as we all held hands and it was short and had everything Uncle had mentioned in five years. The doorbell then rang and Ling got up to answer it. She came in followed by Jen who was dressed to impress. She greeted the family and sat beside me.

"And who's this beautiful young lady?" Mom asked while spooning up some of the soup.

"My coworker, we work at the same hospital."

"Stop beating around the bush," mom smiled and dad whispered something in her ear.

"Dad, what is it?"

"Listen Zhan I told my husband that you are the only one here without a partner until... Until Ling proved me wrong" Lena shook her head in disappointment looking at Ling.

"That's insignificant he belongs to the streets anyway."

"So how are you dear?" Uncle asked Jen.

"I'm okay actually thanks for asking and you?"

"Not bad, not bad." Uncle nodded. "Would you like to hear a story, anyone?" This wasn't a yes or no situation it was more of a life or death decision. Everyone denied his offer except Jen out of being polite.

"I think she said no." Ling faked a smile but Uncle remained unconvinced. I could see the terror in everyone's eyes it was substantial.

"It all began when..."

"Do you now regret your decision?" I asked her as we walked to the car.

"I need a memory wipe pen strong enough to make me forget that he even exists, but no force is strong enough. Even felt like I've aged ten years. Does that help?" I chuckled and nodded.

We went into the car and I carried Jen home, it was quiet but we didn't have to talk because it's just right. The night view was lovely when coming home from Dad's house.

"This is my stop, your parents are lovely. Your whole family is. Now I know where you got your personality from. So this is goodnight I guess." She smiled.

"Thank you and good night." She glanced at me for a moment before leaving. I drove off and went to the small Pastry shop that also sells coffee.

"Can I get a large caramel coffee?"

"Okay, that'll be two ninety-nine." I paid and waited until I received my order.

"Hi, Mrs. Wang how are you today?"

"Hi there my lovely boy, I'm good. Just got off a date?" She intervened.

"Not really. Just a family reunion." I snickered.

"Hey son, bring out the order!" She shouted. There was no response but I assume that the person must've heard.

"Family is really important."

"I agree," I nodded and smiled.

"How's that even possible?"

"What the-"