Part thirty-eight: i can't leave him

Start from the beginning

"Earth? Of course, I know. Earth is a planet we live on."

"Seriously..."

"I'm sorry. Yes, Mix, I know who Earth is. Earth is a ghost that had been with our grandmother for more than fifty years. He saved her and our father and she promised to find someone who will love him to bring him back to life. And now you are there and I hope that everything is alright."

"Wow, you really do know everything."

"Mix, I'm sorry—"

"No, no, it's alright. Actually, everything is more than alright."

"So, does that mean..."

"I'm in love," Mix couldn't help but have a shy smile on his lips when he said it out loud to someone else than Earth. "I'm in love with a ghost. Now that's even more shocking than your wedding. Am I right?"

"Oh my God," Mix could hear his sister scream, "that's amazing! So granny was right. Mix," her voice suddenly got serious, "he does treat you like you should be treated right? He isn't—"

"Earth is nothing like him. Earth would never hurt me like that. You don't need to worry, I promise. Earth is...I feel so safe with him, you know?" Mix knew right from the moment his sister's voice got serious, what she was thinking of. But no, his ex was the past and Mix will never allow someone to treat him like that again. And being with Earth — Mix didn't need to be worried about it. And his family shouldn't either.

"Okay, okay, that makes me feel better," Mix could hear his sister let out a sigh of relief. "But I still want to get to know him before I fully trust him. Will you bring him to the wedding?"

Mix took a sip from the tea and leaned back in his chair, "actually, there's something I have to tell you — I can't stay long in Thailand. I'll be there on the 27th but I need to fly back the next day. I'm sorry."

"Umm, is there a problem? What's wrong?"

"Nothing bad, you don't need to worry. It's just that, I don't know how much you actually know about Earth's condition. But all you need to know is that he can't go anywhere until he is alive again. And he can't be without me for more than a few days now when he is in the middle of his regeneration process or he would just stop existing, or whatever you want to call it, I don't know." Mix sighed, "I just can't leave him, sis. I can't."

"No, it's alright. I — I didn't know there are so many rules to that whole thing, wow."

"It's way more complicated than it sounds," Mix chuckled, "trust me."

"As if the idea itself of bringing someone back to life wasn't complicated enough already."

"You have a point. But seriously, I hope it's okay with you that I won't spend more time at home."

"As long as I see you at my wedding I'm okay. And I understand, we can't risk Earth disappearing forever."

A shadow of worry for a brief second appeared on Mix's face, "no, we really can't."

"Alright, so, do you have anything else you want to say to your big sister?"

Mix smiled, "nah, I think that's all. I will go now, I need to do some Christmas shopping."

"You are going to buy something for Earth, aren't you?"

"Yes, yes I am."

"Cute. Okay, I won't waste your time anymore. See you at my wedding. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

.....

Mix made one more call to his parents which lasted way longer than he was expecting, significantly cutting down the time he had for buying Christmas presents. After exchanging a few text messages with Kahotung, finishing his gingerbread and tea, Mix walked out to the snow-covered streets of the small friendly town.

He had visited stores here and there, passing quite a few streets, returning to some of the stores even twice because he couldn't decide what he wanted to buy.

It was 7 PM on the clock when Mix finally sat down into a nicely warm car, after putting four big shopping bags in the trunk. It wasn't all Christmas presents for Earth; if it was, Earth would probably kill him. But okay, Mix must admit that two and half of that bags were for Earth. Mix's only mission was to persuade Earth that he needed all of it for when he comes back to life. It wasn't going to be easy but Mix will deal with it later.

"So, Mix, did you do everything you wanted?" Sheriff asked as he turned the car around and they drove away from the town.

"Yes, everything is done. It's a friendly town. I liked it here."

"I can take you here whenever you want to. All you need to do is ask."

"Thank you, sheriff. I will." Mix looked out of the window. Darkness fell upon them hours ago already, getting darker and darker by each passing minute.

He couldn't wait to be cuddled up with Earth next to a crackling fire. He needed to tell Earth about the wedding and he hoped that his plan was going to work. If Mix will be gone for a total of four days it should be alright. Earth said it himself.

To be continued...

P.S. I guess we need to have as many EarthMix moments as possible in upcoming chapters because then...