1. Necklace of Rope and Needles

Začít od začátku

"Giselle," I open my eyes and I see a familiar person standing in front of me. My older brother, Elric, approaches me.

He reaches his hand out, but then pauses. "Elric? What are you doing here?" I ask, not understanding why I am seeing him. We never got along as children, avoided each other as we grew up. We didn't hate each other, we were indifferent. Yet... why is he here to see me?

He takes out a handkerchief and orders for the cup of water a guard was drinking. He dips the cloth in water and cleans my face. I feel my lip tremble at the kind gesture, a gesture I have never felt before. No one has ever took time to carefully wipe dirt from my face. I look up at him, the scar over his eye ugly, a reminder he lost his vision in the war.

"I, I tried to save you." He whispers. "Father wouldn't listen to me. It's like he's been brainwashed. I don't know why he is pushing for your death. But I don't trust her." He alludes to Catherina, our mysterious half sister who showed up out of nowhere last year and made me into a villainess.

"I didn't poison her!" I beg him to believe me. "I would never hurt a person. I can't..."

"Shh," He wipes the wet cloths over my lips. "Don't cry. Be strong."

"I don't want to die." I beg, tears falling from my cheeks. "I don't want to die! I don't want to die, save me. Please brother! I don't want to die!"

"That's enough!" Dolan pulls Elric away from me.

"Elric!" I scream, hands reaching out but the imperial soldiers pull me back by my last hairs. I groan as I'm pushed against the wall. I struggle to look over my shoulder and see Elric fighting Nolan. I hear Elric fight to go near me again, to help me some more but Nolan says it's not under his jurisdiction.

The gate groans and I stop struggling. I watch as it slowly opens, promising my death. I am pressed harder against to the stone wall as the two criminals walk before me. I am gripped by the neck, nails digging into my skin, as I'm walked out into the colosseum.

I hear Elric's shout but it's easily drowned over the shouts of the audience. Halfway to the podium, the soldier lets go of my neck, pushing me to the floor. With no balance and limbs tied, I crash to the floor.

Laughter sparks across the stadium. I quickly stand, following the line of prisoners ahead of me. I drag my feet, ignoring the bright sun, the laughter and boos. I ignore the mere commoners who would normally be too scared to look at me, but now laugh in my face. I ignore the nobles that I grew up with, cheering for my death.

As we approach the podium, I look up and feel sick. Had I eaten, I would've thrown up everything. The King stands at the top of the stairs, my tyrant husband sends me a glistening smile.

I get pushed forward, forced up the stairs. My legs are heavy and my soul is heavier. I finally make my way up, stopping in front of Ivan.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" Ivan asks me, a smile still on his face. The King looks insane, my husband always did have a cruel look in his eye.

"I didn't poison her." I confess again. I hate death. I hate killing insects and cry when a person has gone, even if they are strangers. I could never poison her.

"Oh, I know." He chuckles and the guard behind me grumbles out of confusion. I look behind me, watching the guard speak to the other one behind him. They know I'm innocent, maybe they can help-

"Look at me when I'm talking to you." Ivan grabs my throat, choking me into looking at him. I grab his forearm, trying to pry it off.

"Stop," I gasp through the little air I have. I start to freak out as my air is taken away from me. He leans forward, the sneer turning into a sad face. He lets go of my neck and I gasp loudly, knowing what my near future will hold.