7: Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back

Start from the beginning

You yanked another paper towel—harder this time—absently blotching the residual ketchup and  water from your face while you thought about when you arrived, Jungkook trying to practically rip your arm from the socket with his leash, Jin and Taehyung at each other’s throats the moment food hit anyone’s noses. They’d calmed down just enough to get themselves seated, but that’s about all you could say.

Your haggard appearance gawked back in the water stained mirror, bags darker than they’d ever been. “You can do this,” you tried to peptalk yourself, lacking the pep.

Hoseok was tugging on Jungkook’s leash when you returned, the rabbit trying to flee from the chaos that was erupting as Namjoon yanked Taehyung by the collar with the last of his food seemingly in Tae’s hand with Jin leaned over the lion’s back, trying to help. Yoongi sat off to the side with his hand shielding his pinkened face, even his ears a red hue. Meanwhile Jimin had moved to a whole new table, sipping on his drink casually, pretending not to know them. 

A small part of you wanted to do the same.

“No! Bad Tae! Alright that’s enough, we’re done here. It’s time to go. You’re scaring the kids,” you griped, grabbing Taehyung's leash as the spitting tiger tried to climb back over the booth after the last couple bites of meat. Everyone scurried out around you as you grabbed leash after leash in a rush to leave. You felt like you couldn’t leave fast enough.

Once you’d made it to the parking lot, you released them to run ahead and find their own seats to save time—all but Jungkook—who still seemed pretty shaken up. “You okay?” You asked as the two of you approached torture tank last.

He nodded, seeming to feel safer with you which gave you a momentary glimmer of hope. At least until the yelling from the car squashed it. They were back to arguing about Taehyung manspreading and seating arrangements. 

With a sigh of slight relief and slight frustration, you dragged your feet to the front seat feeling confident enough to let Jungkook’s leash go, only to stop when you found Jimin happily bouncing on the leather cushion, patting his lap enthusiastically. Another exhausted sigh passed your lips before looking back at Hoseok who stood on the other side of the vehicle waiting, motioning for him to walk over.

"Jimin, listen, I love you, but you're going to need to get in the back seat with everyone like yesterday, okay?"

The blonde paused, his face lighting up instead of pouting like you expected, a smile turning his eyes into crescent moons as he flew out of the car to wrap himself and his fluffy white tail around you. This one must really, really like hugs, you thought in your surprise.

Nearly stepping on Hoseok’s foot, you stumbled back several steps, trying to regain balance as the fox leaned into you, following as you went until an arm quickly steadied you both.

"You love me?" Jimin asked against your shoulder, quiet voice muffled by the fabric of your grey hoodie. 

Were you not supposed to tell them something like that? After what just happened inside, you didn’t expect to check this interaction off on your hybrid bingo card.  "Y-Yeah, of course. I care about your well being," you attempted stiffly, hoping he didn’t misread your intentions.

"Thank you, noona." He happily squealed, chitters vibrating against your chest.

Your eyes met Hoseok's, who was observing while leaning on the car where he’d moved, one arm lounging on the roof while his other hand reached out to tap the smaller hybrid’s shoulder to get him to peel himself from you. Otherwise, you would be standing there all day.