━━NIJŪSHI

Start from the beginning

"We have planned to spend this day together." Ushijima replied, taking a glimpse at Nao.

She slowly nodded in agreement, a blush bestrewed her features upon hearing what the ace had said. "Why? Is there something you need from us, jiisan?"

Ikkei then scratched the back of his head. "Oh you see—" The Ukai elder was a little bit hesitant. He did not know how to explain this to Ushijima. The latter was not even part of the team. He was a captain from a different powerhouse school, a defending champion in the prefecture.

He saw his grandson pointing at Nao, signalling him to talk to her.

Of course—Nao.

"Nao-chan." Ikkei began to call the person beside Ushijima.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Eh—?"

Nao was dubious about the idea that the senior Ukai was suggesting. He was asking her to coax Ushijima into having a match with the team.

Ushijima with the other Karasuno players?

The notion was far-fetched. Their personalities were total opposites. Well—there were other players that were an exception (e.g., Kageyama).

But still, they would not have any chemistry at all.

Having known the Shiratorizawa captain, he would overshadow all of them. He would not slow down for anyone—not even his own teammates.

He would show no mercy to his opponents in the court.

"You should think about it, Nao." Ikkei told her as he saw how she was having her doubts about the proposition. "It's for the team. Your school's team." He continued, emphasizing every word of the last sentence.

"Help us bring back the former glory that Karasuno once had." He then gestured to an old photo frame placed on the wall. It contained an image of the previous team that once went to the nationals.

A candid group picture of the members proudly holding a trophy. They were all smiles, exuberant of their accomplishment.

Somehow.

Just somehow.

She wanted to see them like that too. In that position where their hard-work had finally paid off.

Nao may not admit it out-loud but she had, in a way, appreciated the presence of the Karasuno players. They were warm and welcoming. Easy to be around with.

But, there was this nagging feeling inside. That she should never interfere. That she should keep things the way they were.

She was currently standing at a crossroads. Not certain which direction to choose.

"Nao." The girl then shifted her gaze back to the former Karasuno coach. He placed his hand over her shoulder, patting it afterwards. Ikkei moved to look at the team that his grandson had now been handling.

"Let this be the first step in paving the way to a brighter future for the team." A hopeful smile was visible on his wrinkled face.

"And that first step is through you."

"Toshi-kun

"Toshi-kun."

Ushijima smiled upon hearing the dulcet tone of the person that was approaching him.

"Let's go home." He said, stretching his arm towards her. Nao then took it. The captain began to lead her to the exit, however she abruptly paused a few steps after.

"W-wait..." Nao pulled him back, halting him from further going. She was standing still on her spot, holding his hand. Ushijima then turned around to look at her, seemingly puzzled at her reluctance to leave this place.

"C-can we stay?" She requested, stammering a little. She was not the kind of person to ask anything from Ushijima. He had already done enough for her and her family. How could she ask for more?

It's not for you, it's for the team. A voice reminded the girl.

Yes—for the team. Nao then let out a breath, gathering all her courage.

"Toshi-kun." She put her other hand over the one she was currently holding. Giving it a gentle squeeze. Ushijima then gazed at her expectantly, his focus sturdy—waiting for what she was trying to convey.

"I haven't seen you play for a long time now—in person." Nao started. "I bet that you're still awesome as ever—if not more." She beamed, complimenting him with so much admiration.

The top ace was quite taken aback from her sudden praise. She was looking down, avoiding her gaze from him. Cheeks glowing in a rubescent hue.

Nao?

He was completely speechless, his olive green orbs was stuck staring at her. There eyes then met. Ushijima could feel his breath hitching just by taking a glimpse of her.

"Will you let me see you play again?"

▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░