chapter 26: this isn't good bye

Start from the beginning

* * *

| YEEUN |

“I knew this time would come. I just didn't expect it to be so soon.” Eunbin tells me as I hand her my resignation letter the day after Seungyeon's press conference. Thank God my shift is in the afternoon because I got a really bad headache and I don't remember half of what happened last night. I don't even remember getting home but I have woken up in my bed in the same clothes I wore last night.

I smile at Eunbin. It's only been a few months of knowing her but she's been nothing but nice and friendly to me. I think that whoever works with her in the future is already lucky. It's not common in life to find a stress-free boss.

Of course, I've made sure I wrote those thoughts in the letter to make her smile a little.

Actually, it's not so much of a formal resignation letter but the purpose of quitting is still there. It goes like this,

Dear Kwon Eunbin,

Thank you for giving me a chance when nobody else did. That's how I want to start off this resignation letter because it's how I truly feel.

I am so thankful to have found myself in front of your coffee shop. Thank you for listening to my ideas and letting me incorporate them to life.

After a long time of being stuck, I felt thrilled to have the screws in my brain finally turning and my creative braincells working.

Jokes aside, thank you for giving me a chance to learn something and trust me, I learned more than making a few cups of coffee. You don't know how much all of these mean to me.

I'm thankful for your friendship too.

I'm leaving because I want to keep growing. And even in your cozy coffee shop, I know I grew.

I hope we still stay in touch even when I don't work for you anymore.

You're the best boss, Eunbin!

Signing off from Coffee Hour,
Jang Yeeun

Eunbin folds the paper after reading it in front of me and in silence, and then looks up at me with a pouty lips like she's about to cry. “Are you sure I can't make you stay? How about promoting you to become our marketing manager?”

“I'm sorry.”

“But my parents already met you and they like you and Sungjae likes youㅡ” She pauses and then goes on, “And I like you! Coffee Hour will always need someone like you.”

“Careful. It sounds like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend.”

Eunbin grins. “As much as I want to keep you, I'm so excited to see you grow. I know Coffee Hour is just a pit stop to you but I'm glad you did it here.”

“You're making me feel sad.”

“Then why do you have a straight face?”

“This is my sad face.”

She sighs and leans back against her chair. “Well, keep in touch, woman. Promise?”

“I promise.”

“Sungjae oppa will not like this.”

* * *

Sungjae makes a dalgona coffee for me. He sits across from me on one of the tables in the shop by the window. It's closing time and I've just told him that I gave my resignation letter to Eunbin this morning.