The Girl Named Sophie

_______________________________

Y/N was still scurrying after the raven head as she entered the school; her hands clenching her sibling's as if her life depended on it. She fluttered her eyes close as she embraced the warm summer breeze and the intoxicating smell of flowers that the school had placed in translucent vases along the hall of the small yellow school building.

Y/N admired the building silently. The halls were painted a flashing white and a small school banner hung themselves within the wooden bulletin stall which was centered in the middle wing of the school. Besides the bulletin, a glass window; which was framed with portraits of graduates and certificates signed by the school principal. The raven's reflection casted away from the glass and Y/N turned her attention back towards the girl.

The girl, who had been leading them through the white hallway stayed quiet- the sound of quiet mumbles only being heard as she continued to guide them before she stopped, turning towards Y/N and the twins. Once receiving their attention, the raven pointed towards the brown wooden door.

"There," she said, "They're six right?"

Y/N nodded slowly.

"Then they go here. The school classes are separated by age," she said, reaching towards the knob and slowly turning it. The door opened wide, revealing students circled around a rainbow mat as the teacher held out a book.

"Oh! Perfect timing," the female said. The teacher who was dressed in a white low-round collar shirt tucked in a long minty skirt smiled and waved the twins in.

'Better to leave now' Y/N thought. Before the twins could run off, she patted the two on their heads.

"Be good and don't be mean. You two hear me?"

They nodded feverishly, hugging her waist before the twins rushed towards the mat and huddled in, desperate to hear a children's tale.

Y/N turned to glance at Agatha (supposedly?) only to find the spot empty. Y/N sighed, closing the door and walking back towards the front of the school- surely she couldn't have gotten that far. Without any other solution, Y/N ventured through the long white hallway of the school as she counted the passing doors.

'If we're separated by age, it must mean that each door represents a number'

_______________________________

Her hypothesis was correct. After reaching the fourth door in the desolate halls, she'd managed to find her way into class which had a total of 17 students. Giving an excuse for coming in late was easy, but the punishment of not being in class and interrupting was going to be difficult.

The male teacher whom Y/N caught by the name of Professor Packer seemed to have a thing for lectures and had acted an entire speech in front of the ENTIRE class- turning her ears red in embarrassment as she hung her head low, looking down at her black Mary Janes that was paired with long white socks. Out of nervousness, she pulled her fingers to the front of her chest as she fiddled with them. She'd forgotten what she had worn since her parents had forced her to wake up at 6, way too early for the day.