“You look like a weeble wobble,” he said. “Like if I pushed you over you’d roll right back up again.”

I wished I could go with the banter, enjoy this like I was on a date – a cold, banana-smelling date, but a date nonetheless – but, no.

I started to speak and John cut me off, “I know, I’ll be serious. You were obviously upset today, can you tell me what happened?”

John knew something about all this, but how much? And what was his motivation for talking to me about it?  I couldn’t assume it was my cheerful conversational style.  “Well,” I said, “I think I’d like you to tell me something about all this first, so I’ll know whether… whether I can trust you. I know that sounds melodramatic,” I added in a rush, “but you have to see that you haven’t told me anything. For all I know, you’re waiting for me to tell you some crazy story you can joke about with your friends.” John winced.

“I see your point,” he said, “the thing is, I’m not sure you’ll believe my crazy story at all. I didn’t even think I could tell you, but I checked with- well, I asked my superior about you, and he said I could tell you the truth.  Surprised me but I was relieved. Only now…I’m not sure how to tell you. I was hoping to start with whatever happened to you today…” he trailed off.

“Nope,” I said, “Now you definitely have to go first. It’s crazy girl’s choice.”

“Okay, okay,” he said.  “Do you, uh, know anything about time travel?”

“Yep,” I said, “flux capacitor, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, save the whales for the alien probe, I’m all over it.”

“Right,” he groaned, “not quite like that. Try to take this seriously, alright? I know it sounds ridiculous... but the Dr. Shammas is studying the possibility of time travel.” I tried to keep my face blank and open, but my jaw was suspiciously tight.

“It's a pretty complicated experiment, but here’s how I think of it. Have you heard of the California redwoods?" he asked.  "Most people are like redwood trees. The soil is time. They have a relatively small root ball, compared to their height, it barely extends past death and birth, in time. But some people are more connected. They’re like aspen trees. Aspens have this huge root system that can extend miles.  Aspens can throw up a sapling from their roots, you see.” John started talking faster and using his hands.  “Some people argue that the largest living organism in the world is a grove of aspen that’s all interconnected. It’s in the Midwest somewhere and scientists-”

“Wait! I lost the time analogy. Are you saying we’re like redwoods or aspen?”

“Sorry, got carried away. Trees are my hobby, I want to be a botanist," he said. "The point I'm making is: some people are different. Some people are connected to other times. Dr. Shammas is looking for those people. Of course, other things have to be right too. Time has to be ‘thin,’ like a place where the soil has eroded and the roots are exposed. Judging by your desire to talk to me, I figure you're one of those people.”

“An aspen?” I confirmed.

“Yes.”

“Huh.” I tried to reflect logically on his explanation. A high school boy’s botanical description of time travel. That's not easy to categorize. Normally I would admire the conjecture and laugh, but I had seen those bodies.  What was that? Something in the future? The past? Surely not.

“So…” he prompted, “would you please tell me your story?”

“I will, but you have to promise to answer more of my questions when I’m done. And I’m not saying I necessarily believe what you told me.” I held up my hands to forestall him, “I’m not saying you’re lying, I just think maybe you’re wrong. I don’t know.”