Doctor Stella nodded, smirking that in a flash, her brother left and came back with a glass of milk for Avery. "Drink this. It's warm, and it'll be good for you," he said.

Shelly fake coughed after winking at Doctor Stella. "That was one hell of a Usain Bolt move, but appreciated, right, Ave?" She pouted her lip, signaling for Avery to say something to Ethan.

"You didn't have to, but thank you." Avery took the glass of milk from Ethan's hand. She didn't take her eyes off him. Instead, she watched as he strode toward Doctor Stella. His sister. Why didn't she think of it?

Ethan and Doctor Stella started arguing, their voices in whispers. Shelly tapped Avery's shoulder to get her attention. "What's going on between you and Ella's hot dad?"

"What? Oh, no, Shells! I'm not the one to be questioned here." Avery shook her head. " You have a lot of explaining to do. Why didn't you tell me?"

Shelly's face was blank. "Tell you what, Ave?"

"That Ethan and Doctor Stella are siblings," Avery whispered.

"Didn't I send you the file and ask you to check it?" Shelly made a clown face.

They stopped whispering when they saw Doctor Stella approaching them. The doctor's face was flushed. She was growling at her brother, who was following her.  "Oh my God, Ethan. I'm the OB here. Avery's fine, and she is not Patty. You need to calm down and thank me instead of nagging me like you're the boss of me."  

Doctor Stella took Avery's hand. "Come, Avery. Let's go to my private space. I'll do a quick check on you and the baby. The Grumpy CEO here thinks I'm one of his staff, and he can go on a power trip now." 

Avery silently followed Doctor Stella. Just as they were a few steps from Ethan, the doctor paused and threw a pissed-off look at her brother. "Are you happy now, CEO?" she yelled at him, showing her hold on Avery's hand.

When the doctor and Avery were out of sight, Shelly approached Ethan. "Hi! I'm Shelly, Avery's best friend. Thanks for welcoming us to your home. I believe no one introduced us yet." She offered her hand.

Ethan reached out his hand. "Thank you for coming. How did you know Ste?"

"Were members of DIG at Yale. But, unfortunately, we lost contact when she shifted to Obstetrics and Developmental Pedia," explained Shelly.

"I see. It's good you guys got the chance to reconnect. Where do you practice?"

"I own a DERMA clinic in Boston with my husband, Art." Shelly looked around for Art. "I'm sure he's somewhere here."

Ethan nodded. "You're the one attending our expo Ste told me about?"

"Yes, thanks for the free pass, by the way." Shelly smiled.

"You're welcome. It's good to know that Ste gets to be with the company of people she enjoys." Ethan's eyes darted toward where his sister had ushered Avery.

Shelly scanned him from head to toe. "Well, enough of chit-chat, Mr. Hotshot. I came here because I want to see you in person. I need to know your intentions toward my best friend."

Ethan's face hardened. "Excuse me?"

Shelly maintained a poker face. "If Ste hasn't already told you, Ave came here to start anew, pregnant with no husband in the picture. Only her parents." She watched Ethan's face as she spoke.

"I didn't see any ring. Is she divorced?" Ethan's tone softened.

"She was engaged. She returned the ring just a couple of months ago. Even after finding out, she was pregnant." The pride in Shelly's voice was unmistakable. "For what reason? It's her story to tell."

Ethan felt Shelly's protectiveness over Avery. The last sentence she uttered was a challenge. He knew his sister had already given him away to the intrusive woman vetting him. One brave friend was interrogating him right in his face in his own house. But he was never Ethan James, CEO, for no reason.

"And if I may ask, why are you telling me these things?" he asked Shelly grimly.

As expected, Shelly didn't back down. Instead, she scowled at him. She met Ethan's intimidation without blinking. "It's still fresh for Ave. I'm not sure if she's ready yet. But your portfolio came with a solid recommendation. And today, I'm giving the recommendation a significant consideration."

"Significant consideration, huh?" Ethan chuckled. "You're something! I wonder how you and Avery click. It seems odd."

Shelly was about to fight back with her sass, but Avery and Doctor Stella reappeared. "Come, both of you. Ella and Art have a sing-off in the entertainment room." The doctor couldn't hide the excitement in her voice.

When they entered the room, Ella was singing the lyrics of a song shown on a giant TV. Avery wasn't sure if the girl was reading the lyrics, but she seemed too familiar. Holding the microphone, Art was in awe of the eight-year-old in front of him. Ella was emotionally belting an adult song with her sweet, weeny voice.

🎵And take, take her to the moon for me

Take her like you promised me🎶

🎶Say you love her every time

Like how you told me the last time🎵

🎵Someday, we'll understand why I had to leave

But for now, I need you to set me free🎶

🎶So before I say goodbye, would you do one last thing for me?

Be happy🎵

Suddenly Ella stopped singing. She looked at her dad and reached for his hand. Ethan walked toward his daughter, sat on the floor, and pulled Ella onto his lap. Everyone except Art, Shelly, and Avery anxiously looked at the tv screen.

A charming blue-eyed woman appeared on the screen when the song's lyrics faded. Her gorgeous smile half hid the sadness in her eyes. Doctor Stella glanced at Shelly, then looked at Avery.

When the woman on the screen started talking, all eyes focused on the TV.

"Hi, Ella, Princess. Happy eighth birthday!" The woman blew kisses, which Ethan animatedly caught by his hand and placed on Ella's cheek.

Shelly observed Avery, who was gazing at the father and daughter. The similarities between the woman and Ella made it an easy guess as to who she was.

"Princess, I'm sorry if Mommy couldn't be with you on your birthday. I know you know why, and you understand. Did you listen to our song? Please remind Daddy that Mommy meant what the song says. I love you and Daddy. Take care of each other." The woman stopped and looked up. It was apparent she was fighting her tears. After clearing her throat, she continued. "Ella, I wish you to continue growing kind, obedient, and happy. My greatest wish for you and Daddy is to be happy. Happy birthday, Princess! See you on your next birthday. Mwah!"

***