CHAPTER 18: BAGRADAS

Start from the beginning

She didn't see Emmon until it was too late. He lunged and they both tumbled to the deck, a mess of fists and kicks. He suspected that cornered like this, the she-cat was using her claws now.

He sighed. "I'll handle the helm. Go break them up. Get them back to work. Land's coming quick."

Jonas gave him a solute and descended to the main deck, roaring at the crew, gaining their attention. He had to cup his hands around his mouth be heard. Those near the middle, closest to the pair rolling around didn't immediately stand at attention. Others had to step in and pry Cat and Emmon apart. But soon enough the fun was over and Jonas was ordering the crew back to their positions.

They'd be landslide in a few hours and he was eager to disembark. Bagradas was another port town set on a pair of islands near the mouth of Stormy Bay. They didn't plan on entering the bay; Bagradas was the farthest in they'd go. He'd heard too many rumors about the dragons controlling Squall's End to get any closer.

He sighed, thinking of the fort leader, Lord Davi, of their meeting together not so long ago. How things had changed. It turned out the Ice Metal hadn't solved all their problems, and that was a damn shame.

A figure climbed the stairs, heading directly for him. He blinked, keeping his attention on the helm, navigating the Lady Faith.

"I take it you insist we stop in Bagradas," Cat tisked, taking up a wide stance beside him. It was hard to believe, but the past week had seen a change in her. Gone was the green girl who wobbled about the deck. With her tricorn in place, she almost...almost passed as a crewman. Except that her curves were far too generous for anyone to miss if they looked for more than a second.

"We would reach Ice Port faster if—"

"Come now, kitty cat, I—"

"I told you not to call me that," she snarled, rounding on him.

He chuckled, keeping his gaze forward. "I'll call you what I want. This's my ship, remember. And I wouldn't miss Bagradas for the world. But you needn't worry. Now that you can throw a punch or two, you'll be fine taking care of yourself. Make sure you carry the knife Jonas gave you. But I wouldn't recommend pulling it on anyone unless it's truly necessary. No one will take kindly to a weapon when fists will do."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?"

"Stopping in the worst ports," she snapped. "Don't play me for a fool, Captain. I've spoken to the crew. They—"

"Have you now? They actually spoke to you? Amazing. Have they truly managed to get over their dislike of you? Perhaps I should ask what their secret—"

"Believe it or not, Captain, I'm quite capable of getting what I want."

"Oh." A laugh rumbled in his chest. "Of that I have no doubt. My order stands. We drop anchor in two hours." Though he kept his face forward, he was keenly aware of the way she crossed her arms and glared at him. "Look, girl, the whole reason we stop in places like this is so the crew can have a spot of fun. I told you this wasn't a passenger vessel. Go enjoy yourself. You need not stay glued to me when we embark. I'm sure you can find ways to entertain—"

"Oh, believe me. I plan to stay plastered," she said through clenched teeth. "I wouldn't dare deprive you of my company."

"Ah. So you are playing along. Fine. I'll be visiting my old captain Aspen while we're here. If you can stand her company, I suppose that's punishment enough."

He spared a glance in time to notice her blink. "Your old captain? Shouldn't someone old enough to be your captain be dead?"

He snorted. "Not sure how old I look to you, girl, but no."