13. Welcome to Cincinnati

Mulai dari awal

We waited at the curb for the three of them to step out and pay for their ride, curtesy of Ryan of course. They grabbed their bags and we all walked inside.

"We got two rooms with four queens and a pull out." Ryan said as we entered the lobby, shrugging apologetically. "Which was all that was available for six people."

"I'll take the pullout." Maggie called, shouldering her bag.

Ryan nodded. "Okay, Skylar, Maggie and Cameron you're with me, and Wyatt and Alec have the other room. We're all going to get some sleep then start on this quest tomorrow morning."

We all followed him up to the counter after agreeing. I gnawed on my bottom lip, my fingers tapping the handle of my suitcase. I was actually really tired even though all I did was sleep on the plane, so I was looking forward to just collapsing on the bed.

Moments later, Ryan handed one room key to Wyatt and the other to me. We made our way to the elevators and traveled up to the third floor. Wyatt and Alec went ahead and entered room 333, while I opened the door to 334.

Nobody spoke much as Maggie and I took turns changing in the bathroom. She pulled out the couch and fell back against the pillows, almost falling sleep instantly. Cameron had done the same while Ryan had put our bags near the dresser, waiting for me.

I climbed into bed, feeling a sense of relief as I relished in the soft pillows and sheets. I was wearing my Camp Half-Blood Orange t-shirt and black soffe shorts, feeling a bit like Halloween. Ryan climbed in next to me and I snuggled up against him, watching the ceiling fan go in circles.

"Everything will be fine, Skylar." He murmured into my hair, brushing a few strands behind my ear. By this point I'd gotten used to having brown hair, though I did miss my blonde hair. "We'll be home to Jake before you know it."

I sighed, closing my eyes. "I hope so."

He didn't reply and seconds later his breathing evened out. I placed my hand on his chest, feeling his heart thump underneath my fingers. I smiled slightly before letting it drop.

Next thing I knew I heard the sound of rushing water. I opened my eyes and found myself staring up at what looked to be tendrils of energy and white light floating above me. It was like the northern lights, but you know, white. I blinked slowly, confused. It all looked like a dream.

But I don't remember ever falling asleep.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Ryan

Sun shone through the hotel window, though I swore I had closed the curtains last night. I rubbed my eyes, sitting up slowly. My head felt weird but I couldn't figure out why. Cameron was leaning back against the headboard, staring at the wall. A pang of guilt shot through me as I realized Cameron was probably thinking about Lish. I felt terrible about having to asking him to leave her behind, but it must've been worse for Skylar, who had asked him.

I glanced to my side and noticed Skylar wasn't there. Panic rushed through me before I shook my head, pushing it away. She was probably in the bathroom or something. I slipped off the bed and walked over to my suitcase, glancing at a still sleeping Maggie before pulling my shirt off. I got dressed quickly and turned back to Cameron who looked like someone had kicked his puppy, or rather looked like a puppy who'd be kicked.

My mouth twisted in a grimace as I called out to my friend. "Hey Cameron, I know this is hard and I completely understand if you want to go home to Lish right now. I'll even pay for your flight." I knew that they needed Cameron, but I still didn't like watching my friend miss his mate. I knew what that felt like, even if it had been under different circumstances.