Prologue

Before my eyes, it blocks my path. A high, high wall. What sort of scene is on the other side? What will I be able to see there? At first, this is what I thought every time I walked onto the court with my team. The net, the wall of blockers and the skill of the opposing team. All of this intimidated me; that was until my first year of Karasuno High where I had become quite the phenomenon full of skill and passion. It was almost as if all my thoughts and worries faded away as soon as I entered the court. The spike of the ball, the agility to pass the blockers. It was a thrill and a dream. I quickly became the ace, the star and the heart of my team and I remember how much joy it gave me to see how much hope we had of winning nationals. I had caught the eye of so many magazines as well as became the talk among many teams, but little did I know that my world was about to turn upside down. Just when I could fly and touch the sky, the weight of chains would pull me to the ground and trap me back in the cage I so wished to break free.

It was a tough game, our second to last from winning Nationals. We were up against Shiratorizawa, one of the top playing teams. We had lost the first round and managed to turn it around during our second but as we got closer to gaining the last few points, it was as if fate decided to mock me that day. I had gotten injured, collided into one of my teammates and ruined my ankle; immediately taken to the hospital. I broke it, imagine that. Just when I thought I was about to be able to look across that wall and break free of my shackles, it was as if I was pulled back under and reminded of where I was, that dreams like going pro on a volleyball team weren't meant for people like me.