My Broken Heart: A Kingdom Hearts story *Chapter 1*

Chapter 1

-12 Years ago

I tugged my legs closer to my body as tears ran down my face.

~

‘This moment is where it had all began. This memory was still crystal clear in my mind, it was as if I had lived through it just yesterday. I guess that must be because this is my very first memory.’

~

I continued to cry with no real reason or explanation why. The tears just flowed down my cheeks and at that very moment, I felt as though crying was the only thing I could do. At that moment, I was sitting on cold hard pavement with my back to a large brick wall. There wasn’t much light and I had no idea where I was. The only thing I knew for sure, was that I was alone. The word echoed in my mind and I roughly shook my head in an attempt to get rid of it. A dim light suddenly appeared in a square shape in front of me and I glanced up to see what it was exactly. A…. window? Perhaps… Either way, this became the only light source, but I was now able to study the things around me, maybe even figure out where I was. There was an average looking brown rectangle on the opposite side of the alley, close to the window. Parts of the ground were damp suggesting it had rained recently, and three soggy looking boxes sat next to the door, and a weird smell filled the area I was in.

I shifted slightly and my hand fell into something wet, water. I lifted my hand out of it and peered inside it. The water rippled slightly before calming and turning still again. In it, I saw a little girl- my reflection. Light coloured hair fell around her face, framing her big blue eyes. She looked afraid, because I was afraid.

Outside of where I was, a small tapping sound became clear in my ears, though a little faint. I listened to it and the tapping sound soon grew louder, and I recognised it as footsteps. Shoes tapping softly against the pavement in a slow rhythm.

Eventually the sound reached its peak and sounded as though the footsteps were right next to me. I gasped a little, not meaning to and then quickly covered my mouth with my hand, but it had already been too late. The footsteps paused, as if listening, before a dark figure appeared at the exit of where I was. It expanded across the ground, making it look giant. It almost looked like a monster.

“Who’s there?” A young male voice cut through the silence.

I froze and didn’t say a word.

“Who’s there?” The voice repeated, louder this time. I still didn’t say anything, hoping that they would just leave, but they didn’t. Instead, whoever it was, began walking towards me.

A whimper escaped my lips as I shuffled backwards, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks again. “No, no. It’s okay,” the person said in an almost soft voice. I shook my head and shuffled back further. My back hit something hard and following that there was a loud crashing noise. I squealed and jumped up and ran to the end of the small area and sat in the corner. There was nowhere else I could go.

Where I had just been, there now sat a large metal thing lying sideways on the ground, with all sorts of things that had fallen out of the large gaping hole in the middle of it. A horrible smell filled the air, enough to make me cringe.

The footsteps picked up again and I dug my face into my knees in a poor attempt of blocking the smell, though it did no justice, the smell seeped into my nose and made me feel sick.

“Hey, hey. It’s okay, you don’t need to be afraid.”

He had now reached me and kneeled down to reach where I was sitting. I didn’t look up at him, but instead stared at his feet. He reached out and attempted to grab my hand, but I pulled it away from him. “It’s okay,” he said and slowly reached out for my hand again. This time, he grabbed it and carefully held it in between both his hands. He shifted until he was in the centre of my view and gave a small smile. “See? You don’t need to be afraid,” he repeated. “I’m not going to hurt you.”