"Thank you, Father! I shall look forward to seeing you again." She said before bowing deeply to him.

"Yes," he said, and walked around her, hurrying out the door.

Straightening, Susato looked back over her shoulder and watched him disappear. She rubbed quickly at her watering eyes and waited a moment before exiting the room.

Susato made her way to the library, as instructed, and was grateful to be surrounded by massive shelves of books.

She focused hard on exploring the various sections, reading titles and pulling down different volumes, flipping to random pages in each. Her mind could barely absorb any of the words before her, but she tried hard to throw herself into these distractions. Yet she could not help but think about the look on her father's face, how hard and cold and unsettled he seemed. How curt and flat and dismissive his speech had been. Surely it was not such a strange reaction, considering the circumstances. She had caught him entirely by surprise, after all.

Reminding herself she would see him again later, she pushed back the unwelcome feeling of disappointment and reached for another book.

***

At last, Susato had become thoroughly engrossed in a book when he appeared at her side, gently clearing his throat before properly announcing his presence.

"Miss Mikotoba."

Susato hastily turned away from her reading and returned Barok's bow. He looked at her evenly then glanced towards the book in her hands.

"St. Germain's The Doctor and Student? That is quite outdated, I fear. You would do far better to read Sir William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England," he said.

Susato's face felt hot. Embarrassed, she shut the book. "I was merely seeking to pass the time."

"You choose a heavy text with which to merely pass the time. It is quite laudable of you. Still, if you should wish to read something more relevant to modern British law, I can furnish you with my personal copies of all four volumes of the Commentaries."

"You are very kind, my lord."

Barok crossed his arms loosely. "Miss Mikotoba, if it is quite alright for me to offer this small correction, there is no need to refer to me as 'my lord.'"

"My apologies, Lord van Zieks."

"It is not a matter that requires apology," he said, and punctuated his words with a light smile. "Were you able to meet with your father, Miss Mikotoba?"

Susato nodded, unable to resist the frown that stole across her lips.

"Will he require use of my carriage to join us this evening?"

Susato glanced away. "Unfortunately, my father will not be joining us. But I am to meet with him after dinner, at his place of residence."

"Shall we depart then, Miss Mikotoba?"

"Yes. I think we shall."

***

The circumstances of the journey to the van Zieks manor were a trifle uncomfortable. For an unmarried woman to ride alone with an unmarried man—and a noble, no less—was a bit unfortunate, but Susato supposed the matter could not be helped.

Lord Barok van Zieks sat across from her. He had his book bag beside him, and glanced towards it a few times, but elected not to open any of the materials of his study, perhaps to avoid appearing impolite. Instead, they both silently looked out the window.