13

Frank awoke the next morning, and was at first confused to see Gerard's resting face beside him. The events of the previous day soon came rushing back to him, and he wriggled himself closer to Gerard's body. Frank then looked around the dimly sunlit room to find where Mikey had ended up. He saw Mikey laying in the bed beside Ray. Opal lay in the cot that had been pushed up against the bed so that she could be on Ray's other side. Frank realized that he was smiling, and closed his eyes as he rested his head against Gerard's chest.

He lay there, soaking up the few moments of peace he would have before the day began again. I don't care, he thought. Gerard's back, that's all I care about. He's alive, and he's breathing beside me.

Frank jumped a few minutes later at the sound of someone shifting. He turned to find Ray sitting up, cupping his hands over his face. He yawned before looking at Mikey, then over to Frank. He grinned, and Frank returned the gesture. "How long have you been awake?" Ray asked, his whisper raspy from the dry morning air.

Frank shrugged. "Not long," he whispered back.

Ray bobbed his head. He threw his jacket on and gently kissed Mikey's forehead before squeezing Opal's arm. He then retreated from the room.

Curious, Frank kissed Gerard's cheek and stood up from the mattress. He followed Ray into the living room, where Steve and Ricky were sat at the radio station. Steve had his headphones on, but wasn't speaking. There was no music coming from the speakers as it did when Steve was broadcasting.

Something at Steve's station beeped, and a red light began to blink. He furrowed his brow, then flipped a switch Frank vaguely recognized. "You're here with Dr. Death Defying," Steve said, leaning close to the microphone. "This is 109 in the Sky, and we've got something real special for you today. This song is coming to you from Agent Cherry Cola, a suggestion we heartily endorse." He flipped another switch, and a song began to flow through the speakers.

Steve rolled over to the light and picked up a phone that was deliberately sat next to it. "Hello?... Oh, shit... Uh-huh... Oh, okay... Yeah, of course you can!... Yeah... Yeah, no problem, see you then. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out. Safe travels." He hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" Ray asked.

"Shannon Mackenzie, better known as DJ Hot Chimp. Apparently, one of you threatened an undercover Killjoy while you were at HQ." Frank looked to Mikey, who didn't react. "But once they saw that you actually succeeded in stealing Opal back, they realized an uprising wasn't that unrealistic," Steve continued. "They just needed more people. So... They're planning one. And she's gonna come stay with us."

Frank gulped. He glanced to the others, Gerard tightening his grip on Frank's hand. Mikey's fingers were gripping Ray's knee, and Ray tugged him closer. Ray cleared his throat. "So..."

"Don't worry," Steve said quickly, "You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. This isn't affiliated with us, no one is expecting you to be involved. Besides, you're the top five most wanted, and I doubt they'd let you even get into Battery City this go 'round. Just stay here with Ricky and I. Alright?" The group nodded. Frank felt blood returning to his fingertips as Gerard relaxed.

Several days passed as they waited for Shannon to arrive. Ricky had found a deck of cards while he was cleaning, and this helped time go by a bit more quickly. Eventually came a day when Frank heard the familiar sound of a car pulling up outside.

"Is that her?" Ray asked.

"Well, shit, I hope so!" Steve laughed at his own joke as he stood, making his way to the door. He listened for a moment before opening the door. Before he saw her, Frank heard the sound of keys jingling loudly as Shannon approached. "Hey, how was the trip?" Steve said heartily, hugging her. She simply huffed in response, and Steve laughed again. He ushered her inside, stepping outside to pick up some of her things. It was then Frank could see that her arms were completely weighed down with bags. "Is this everything?" Steve asked.