"Are you okay?" I echoed, needing a moment to not process my own thoughts. It was exhausting hanging out in my own mind. I needed a break. I needed to think about someone else, anything else. Anything to help me not fall down the rabbit hole of panic that was bound to take me at some point soon.

Tate walked over to the bridge railing and leaned against it, looking exhausted. "Yes and no."

I laughed hollowly, joining him. "Fair answer."

"He's just..." Tate stopped. And I could see that he was trying to find a kind way of expressing his frustration.

"No need to filter. Shoot."

"He was trying to help, but..." he trailed off again.

"You are filtering Tate. I was in the car with him too. Get it off your chest."

He closed his eyes for a second. "He was being a pain in the ass!"

I started laughing, amused by how his face scrunched up when he was trying to say something mean about his cousin. It was adorable and hilarious. "Anything else?" I asked, trying to stop my laughter.

"YES!" Tate gripped the railing, knuckles going white. His hair was brushed out of his face by the breeze as he stared out at the Los Angeles River. "You would think he could stop glaring at us long enough to make sure we were actually okay. BUT NOOOO! He decided a good lecture before hiding you behind a bunch of bodyguards was the way to go! It's a miracle that he doesn't terrify everyone in his path!"

I offered him a sad smile. "Well, he did ask if we were okay before he launched into his monologue. Maybe that counts for something?"

Tate leveled me with a look. "Hardly."

We watched the sun set the river on fire as it was consumed by the water, slowly settling below the horizon. Then we walked back towards my apartment, both quiet as the shadows began to eat away at the failing light.

"So..." I began once my thoughts returned to our train wreck of a day. "...does he always try to hide people behind a security detail?" I asked.

Tate shook his head. "Paparazzi is a sensitive spot for Aiden. Laliana nearly got killed when she began to grow in popularity. I think he just got a little freaked about you getting hurt."

I kicked a pebble out of my path, snorting. "No offense, but Aiden doesn't care about my well-being."

Tate tried to interrupt, but I shook my head. "I won't cry over it. Trust me, it doesn't matter that he doesn't like me. I'm not his biggest fan either. That's not the point—"

"Then what is the point?" he asked, seeming almost alarmed by the idea of Aiden not liking me or vise versa. Tate must not have been used to people not liking each other. But I was very accustomed to people hating me. I wasn't the most likable person. My mind moved back to the headline...Trading Down? Why Tate is Making a Mistake by Choosing Allie Winters

"The point is..." I replied softly, taking his hands and doing my best to keep my sanity in check. It was getting harder to push away today's harsh words. "If he is suggesting I get a bunch of security, then it's because he loves you. And even if his way of showing it is pretty bad... try to keep that in mind."