-41-

JINX

She found Rick in the small courtyard where Karen and David's bodies had been found, she assumed looking for some clue as to who the murderer amongst them may be. She watched as he crouched down, spotting a bloody handprint on the edge of the door. He looked up at her and she shrugged, "I was digging graves, didn't need to create more work for myself." She told him her alibi, he smirked slightly, "Small hand print though", she hovered her own hand in front of it the same way Rick had when he'd first spotted it, it was definitely closer to the size of hers.

She chewed her lip for a second and they both scowled at the scarred concrete where scorch marks and bloody stains remained. "I'm gonna go do... anything else." she pulled both of their attention away as they moved towards the main yard.

___

DARYL

They drove down the centre of the road, dead leaves skittering away from the tyres as they drove through them. "Hey, I know you weren't runnin' off. The thing is, that trail went cold." He glanced towards Michonne in the passenger seat. "You know that, right?" she ignored him, staring stoically out the windscreen. "If it was any different, I'd be right out there with you." She finally looked towards him, acknowledging his words but not saying a thing. He chewed the side of his thumb for a second and sighed before leaning over to turn the stereo on. "You hand me one of them CDs right there." He nodded towards the dashboard compartment as the radio static filled the car.

"...find sanctuary." A voice came through the speakers, and they all looked towards the dashboard in surprise.

"Was that a voice?" Bob asked from the back, but Daryl shushed him.

"..determined to survive...keep alive..." Daryl twisted the dial back and forth trying to focus better on the signal, "...minus."

He glanced up for a second and swerved with a gasp, narrowly avoiding a walker in the middle of the road, but then having to quickly swerve a few more times to avoid more, not entirely successfully.

As he pulled to a stop a herd approached them, pressing themselves up against the car. Before their view was entirely blocked, he could see that there was no way they were going forward from here. "Grab something!" he yelled and threw the car into reverse; it was safer to risk some damage taking out the few behind them than wait for the hundred or more ahead of them to catch up.

"Go to the left!" Michonne pointed, but the wheels kept spinning without going anywhere.

"We're jammed up." He looked around for a second, seeing a gap in the trees beside them, he pointed to it, "Have to make a run for the gaps right there." He pointed past Michonne out the window. "You two, you make a run for the woods, and you don't stop for nothin', you hear me?" he told Bob and Tyreese, they nodded, and he shouted "Now!"

He shoved the sunroof out and pushed himself and his crossbow through as Michonne jumped out the door and began slashing through any walkers that got close. She kicked a walker away as Daryl's arrow sank into the next one. He pulled himself the rest of the way out of sunroof and slid down the windscreen stabbing a walker quickly with his knife as his feet hit the ground.

He ran forward, following Michonne alternately taking walkers out with his knife or hitting them with the crossbow, he didn't have time to reload. He heard gunshots as either Bob or Tyreese left the car, but he didn't have time to look back.

"Ty!" he heard Bob yell out, but still he couldn't look back, he just had to keep fighting forward. "Tyyy!" He heard Bob bellow again.

"Go!" He could just make out Ty's voice over the snarls of the dead.

When he reached the treeline, he finally turned back to look, easily shooting a walker between him and Bob. He and Michonne ran forward the couple of steps to where Bob stood and they looked up to see Tyreese surrounded, yelling, taking out as many walkers as he could with a large hammer.

They froze, but there was no way they could get him out. "Come on." He said to Michonne and Bob, pulling them into the trees just as Tyreese shouted "Come and get me!" at the dead.

They ran through the forest, taking out any stragglers that got too close. "Hold up." Daryl called them to a stop as they reached a clearing, he reloaded the crossbow as a rustling sound came from the leaves of a nearby bush. They all watched, ready to spring forward with their weapons.

Two walkers finally appeared, but just as Daryl was about to release the arrow one stopped moving and promptly dropped to the ground revealing an exhausted Tyreese covered in blood. The second walker turned back towards him, but Michonne easily took it out with a single swing of her katana and Daryl grabbed Ty by the arm and pulled him forward, Bob grabbed Ty's other arm and they held him up as they kept moving.

___

JINX

As she walked into the cell block she spotted Rick sitting alone attempting to rebandage his hand and she sat beside him, wordlessly taking over. He looked up at her and gave her a forlorn smile. "Carol." He told her and she knew instantly what he was talking about.

"No.." she shook her head unable to wrap her mind around the woman she considered one of her closest friends killing Karen and David in cold blood. "No.. she wouldn't." she repeated.

"She admitted it." He told her looking down, she could hear how much he didn't want it to be true in his voice and finally she accepted it.

"She really would do anything to protect the people she loves..." Jinx surmised, "What happens now?"

"She can't stay." He looked up at Jinx expectantly, waiting for her response, whether agreement or argument he didn't want to be the one who made the decision. She chewed her lip but didn't speak. "We're going on a run, we'll take what she'll need to survive on her own."

"We can't just abandon her! She's one of us, what she did was to protect us." Jinx told him angrily, jumping up from her seat. "She might have done it the wrong way, but you can't just send her off to die!"

"She can't stay here, I don't like it any more than you, but there's more people to protect here. I don't even think she's sorry." They were both standing now.

"You can't decide this on your own. This should be something the council votes on." She declared.

"What council?" he asked her, "Carol and I are all that's left, everyone else is in quarantine or on the run for antibiotics and she can hardly be objective about herself."

"So wait for Daryl and Michonne to get back at least!"

"And Ty? How do you think that's gonna go? She'll be safer away from here when he finds out."

"You really don't think there's another option?" Jinx asked sadly, finally realising he was right.

"Can you think of one?" he asked her softly. She shook her head as tears filled her eyes, she felt so helpless. She let Rick pull her into a hug and wrapped her arms around him for a minute until she was able to pull herself together.

With a deep breath she stepped back from him, "I'll keep an eye on things here while you're gone."

"Thank you." He told her with a quick nod before he turned and disappeared out of the cell block.

Once she was alone Jinx sank down onto the cold metal table, pulling her feet up to rest on one of the seats, she buried her face in her hands, her whole body felt drained.

She didn't know how long she sat like that, but when she was finally able to raise her head and face the world again Rick was just finishing loading up the car.

She walked over to him and when she saw Carol approaching pulled him into a brief hug. As the other woman joined them she repeated the gesture, holding onto Carol that little bit longer. Jinx couldn't tell her friend goodbye, couldn't let on what Rick's plan was yet, so this was the next best thing. "Be safe." She told the two of them, but mostly focused on Carol.

"You too." The other woman gave her a smile and Jinx returned it with a little less enthusiasm before heading back inside.