-20-

DARYL

He didn't like that Jinx was joining them to clear the other cell block for the prisoners. He wanted her as far away from these guys as he could get her, but when she decided she was doing something there was no arguing with her, so he had just accepted it.

Daryl led the group with Rick and T-Dog interspersed between the prisoners and Jinx at the end. One of the prisoners complained about the dark and he indicated to the flashlight, "you gotta hold it up high, out in front of you. You're gonna hear 'em before you see 'em"

A clanging sound came from further down the hallway and the prisoner with the dirty blond hair, Axel, called out "it's coming" before being shushed by Rick. Daryl continued to creep forward, but then held up one hand signalling for them to stop so they could see how many came around the corner ahead of them.

Two walkers appeared and suddenly Daryl had to jump out of the way as all five prisoners ran screaming towards them like they'd lost their minds. Rick and Jinx walked forward to stand between Daryl and T-Dog and the four just looked at each other, exasperated. Obviously, nothing they'd told them before they'd left had registered and they watched the prisoners holding one walker while stabbing it in the gut, at least the second one, which was on the ground, they seemed to have more of a chance of taking out as one guy beat it with a baseball bat.

After the prisoners eventually finished the job, they regrouped and kept walking. A single walker approached them, and Daryl moved forward, "It's gotta be the brain. Not the stomach, not the heart..." he shot an arrow into its forehead and it dropped "the brain." He finished pointedly.

"I hear you" confirmed Axel as Oscar ran forward and smashed the next walker on the head, "like that?" he confirmed.

"uh-huh" Daryl agreed, stepping back slightly, lowering his crossbow and raising his knife, he couldn't shoot again with the others dashing out in front of him and the knife was quicker than reloading the bow anyhow. Axel took out the next walker, then Rick.

"Stay in tight formation. No more of that prison riot crap" he told them as he stepped back.

The group were doing pretty well at taking out a group of walkers coming towards them when they heard a yell behind them. Somehow Big Tiny had gotten separated and was back around the corner. He had two walkers about to take a chunk out of him. Rick took out one and was pulling the guy back when Tomas pulled out his gun and shot the other, far too close to Rick for anyone's comfort.

Big Tiny touched the back of shoulder and his hand came back covered with blood, he looked afraid. "I'm telling you, I don't feel anything. It's just a scratch" he told them as Rick inspected the wound using his flashlight. It was more than a scratch though, it was a several inch long gouge down his shoulder blade. Rick looked down and told him he was sorry.

"I can keep fighting!" Big Tiny was adamant.

"You cut that old guy's leg off to save his life" one of the other prisoners pointed out.

"Look at where the bite is" Rick pointed at Big Tiny's shoulder, and the man yelled again that he was fine.

"Look man, there has to be something we can do." Oscar said, "We could just lock him up"

"Quarantine him" Axel butted in.

"We gotta do something, why you just standing there? We gotta save him!" Andrew, the shorter one shouted.

"There's nothing we can do" Rick told them solemnly and Andrew called him a son of a bitch.

Just as Big Tiny was about to tell them he was alright again, a weapon swung out of nowhere hitting him in the head. Tomas looked at his weapon, then rushed forward again, beating Big Tiny over and over. Daryl looked at rick in disbelief, then down at Jinx when he thought he heard her mutter "crazy eyes" from beside him, she shook her head slightly and looked away.