Back to square one- 27

Start from the beginning

"Don't be it wasn't your fault."

"Yeah, Ariel, that one was on us. We need to communicate better."

"So do I. I should've called or something. I will next time." I said nodding to myself making a mental note to communicate more. "Umm while we're on the topic of communication I wanted to let you all know that I- Uh-I have another mate."

"What!?" Peter practically yelled making me jump.

"Do I have to repeat it?"

"His name is Bucky. The winter soldier." Steve said crossing his arms.

"What?" Tony and Clint asked angry.

"That guy is a national terrorist." Tony said getting to his feet and pacing. "No way. No."

"You can't just say no to this." Then they stared arguing only thor and Peter were quiet. I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them trying to remind myself that I wasn't at home and I wasn't in danger.

Peter sighed heavily and wrapped me up in his arms and thor came to my other side and got close to us practically shielding us from the rest of the room. "Just let them hash it out, A, it'll be okay."

"Lady Ava," thor said making me peek out setting my chin on my knees. "I hope you are well. Better than you look."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." I said shakily. "Distract me. How's Asgard?"

"Asgard is well. The realms are at peace, and the coronation ceremony is being arranged. Father is ready to step down from the throne. But... I don't burn for the throne like I do for you."

"Another thing we have to talk about." I whispered. Looking deep into Thor's eyes. I didn't want him to give anything up for me  and I knew it'd be hard for me to stand by his side in Asgard as Queen but I can see how it'd work especially with his and the warriors three's support.

While Natasha took down shield and outed the Ponzi scheme to the public, thor was in Asgard, I was here with Tony and Bruce and the occasional Peter and Clint visits. Thankfully I was able to get some school work done, and I talked to my swim coach about the situation. The conversation went surprisingly well and I have full support in taking the time to get better. The week had been surprisingly relaxing but I still worried about my soulmates safety and the whole situation with my newest mate.

"She doesn't need another assassin in her life," Tony yelled making me flinch in peters arms. "Look where she is. She's been threw hell recently and now you wanna add an unstable terrorist? Great idea, Cap."

"It's not my choice or anybody else's. He's apart of this whether we like it or not."

"He doesn't have to be."

"What?" I whispered looking up at Peter when he just shrugged I looked at Tony who's gone quiet. "What did you mean just now?" I squeezed Peter's arm and shook out of his grip to stand on my own. "He's one of my mates. As far as I know and everyone else in the world knows there's no changing the fact." He looked down at his shoes which surprised me. "Or not? What do you know."

"Now's not really the time, Ariel."

"No, you're implying there's a way around the bond. Something no one has ever been able to do. What is it?"

Tony's lips pressed together but Bruce spoke up for him. "We've been researching... and there's a small chance that there is something one can do to evade the bond."

That made everyone go crazy again and this time Thor and Peter joined in but Tony and I just kept staring into each others eyes. Words like ridiculous and impossible were being thrown around but all I could wonder is why he was looking into this in the first place. I shook my head and found my bag next to the elevator. When the doors opened the arguments stoped and everyone was looking at me.

I opened my mouth to say something but quickly shut it once again. I didn't know what to say at this point so I just shook my head again and stepped into the elevator watching the doors close putting even more distance between us than ever.

Natasha's words from earlier flashed in my head making me laugh sadly to myself I suppose we really do have what we have when we have it and when it's time to let it go....

When I got out of the tower I took a deep breath for the first time since I left, and started to walk not really wanting to go back to campus right now and not wanting to go back to ask for a ride. So there I was walking the streets of New York alone for the first time since I arrived.

I don't know why I did what I did next, but there was no going back after the first dial tone. "Fuck,what?" The slurred gruff voice came threw the phone making me flinch.

"I-" when I finally got the courage to speak I got cut off.

"Don't think I don't know where you've been, you little shit. You think you can just decide to leave me? Well you can't. I'm coming for you and when I find you you'll wish you never tried to leave." My breathing increased and I felt the shakes begin just like old times. I sucked in a breath and quickly took the phone a away from my ear and hung up on him turning it all the way off.

I found an alley and slumped down on the dirty ground knowing that my legs would give out any minute. After a moment of staring at the opposite wall I started to laugh in a broken sad way while wiping at my wet cheeks. He was right. The first night he got drunk in front of me he yelled at me about how soulmates are just the closest people to you who have the most power to hurt you. He was right.

I let them get close. We built our bond together and now... they want out. It'd be easier for them Tony, Thor, Steve, Peter, Clint, and Natasha. Their lives would all be so much easier without me. They've been looking for a way out of the bond. He wants out. He wants to get away from me and I always knew that'd happen. I expected it but when it's really happening... I just never knew how much it would truly hurt.

I sat there for a while not paying anything any mind as I slowly became numb. Finally though as the sun went all the way down and the lights brightened around me I had to get up. I stood and looked around at the many people walking around and decided that I should call a cab. I turned my phone back on and just as I did a call came through. It was Clint. I bit my lip and watched it ring and ring until it finally stoped and I thought he'd give up but he called again and I watched it ring for a while and just as it was about to send him to voicemail again I hit the green button.

I didn't speak as I put the phone up to my ear but I knew he knew I had answered. "Hey," he whispered and I could even hear a smile in his voice. "Baby, I can only imagine what you're thinking right now but Tony was wrong to even look into breaking the bond. We don't want that- at least I know I don't." He took a deep breath when I didn't say anything in response. "Please say something."

"If any of you want out then why didn't you just say so? Why hide it?"

"I don't want out. Tony doesn't want out. No one does. He's just scared for you. We all are but he shouldn't have gone that far." I bit my lip as more tears escaped down my cheeks. "Can you tell me where you are so I can come pick you up?"

"No- I" I choked on a sob

"Baby, I need you to take some deep breaths."

"I need to go."

"No, Ava, don't hang up-" but I didn't listen I hung up and put my phone away. I looked around and saw a few taxis and waved my hands until one finally stoped. I got in and instructed them to take me back to campus and watched the city blur passed as they drove in silence.