The Mirror's Secret

DAY ONE

Nothing about the shack sitting in the middle of the nowhere town called Lampson screamed "this is home". What it did say was "a fresh start awaits you". 

Inheriting this place from an aunt,  however many times removed, had seemed like a burden at first. But it became the answer I needed - freedom from Steven's controlling and abusive behavior. He had no clue about what had happened and it was going to stay that way. 

After a lot of renovating and decorating, this place would become home. This could be a new beginning. It didn't mean things would be easy, but at least Steven would be out of the picture and that would make life that much better. 

With a heavy, nervous sigh, I hefted my sleeping bag under an arm and kicked the travel sized suitcase to a rolling position. The plan was to clean as much as possible before there wasn't enough daylight left. First thing in the morning, the electricity and water would be turned on and the real work would begin. 

Without surprise, the door creaked open to reveal dust and musty furniture. Tossing the sleeping bag and suitcase onto an uninviting couch disturbed the filth, causing a plume of soot to fill the air. A swift turn away saved my nostrils. 

The gaudy mirror hanging alone in the middle of a wall demanded attention. Unlike the rest of the furnishings, it appeared to be clean; the surface shined while the ornate rim showcased all its tiny details. Something about the object was alluring yet eerie. 

Several steps away from the shimmering surface, an ominous feeling filled the room. Darkness crept over the place along with a sudden chill. My breath fogged the reflection of a thirty something year old woman with droopy eyes and a slack jaw. One step closer is all it would take to touch the mirror.

But something crashing outside broke whatever spell had been cast. An unfamiliar gasp sounded as my feet stumbled away to the nearest window. 

The darkness was gone and the room felt stifling. After a brief struggle with the window, it loosened enough to lift a few inches, allowing a cool breeze to flow in.

With hands braced on the window ledge, breathing in shallow pants, the uneasy feeling began to dissipate. Tense muscles began to relax only for a second.

What made that sound? 

Without thinking, I stomped to the front door. The creak became a groan as the door was wrenched open. The yard was as empty as it had been before, aside from the car that now graced the driveway. 

The only sound heard was the wind brushing the leaves of the scrawny trees on the edge of the yard. There was no sign of anything or anyone. It must have been an animal that scurried away.

Gulping, I spun on a heel to go back inside. There was work to be done. 

By the time there wasn't much light to work with, most of the house had been wiped down and cobwebs swept away. The furniture was pushed into a corner of the living room and would be donated. It wasn't much, but after a good cleaning, it would all be decent. 

My stomach grumbled, my body stank, and I felt grimey. After scanning the small area, I grabbed the suitcase and car keys, deciding it would be best to just stay at a hotel for the night. But something felt off as the door creaked closed.