Chapter 35: Obligations over Desires

— the video above is not part of the story just my latest youtube video—

      Atem waited for me back in my room, it felt strange here. Back in Ohio he fit perfectly into everything. Now he stuck out like the moveable items on a cartoon show.

"Nuni." He smiled and strode across to me. He was solid and real and he hugged me and it felt like Atem but why was he holding me so delicately like he was a afraid of breaking me. His hands were like whispers of a ghost trailing over my skin. But his touch was warm and inviting and familiar. I thought being with Atem made me hot, I thought he made my world catch on fire but his warmth was nothing to Hiei's touch, nothing to the flames that threatened to consume me each time he touched me.

"What is wrong my love?" he brushed his fingers along my cheek bone. "did he cause you trouble when you told him?" Atem's tone turned dark but there was no way he'd be able to beat Hiei, Mind crush won't work on someone like him.

"No, he just... he was sad and he tried to hide it but I felt it." I sighed and rested my head on his chest because while Atem was still short he was taller than Hiei.

"Atem." I sighed "when do you have to give Yugi's body back?"

"What do you mean?" he looked confused.

"Well you're now with Yugi, you guys can share a body and  eventually you have to give it back.

"Yugi is resting right now. He's tired from our last tournament so you have all of me right now." He took my hands and led me over to the bed. He was hesitant as he pulled me beside him and slid his hands along my cheek bone and into my hair. His movements so slow I could barely stand them. I had gotten too used to Hiei's speed. His constant challenge of me that Atem's constant hesitation was getting to be a bother.

When he finally kissed me, warmth spread through me. It was pleasant and familiar and full of love. I melted into him, or I tried to at least, this wasn't hot enough to make me melt.

It was nice in the way revisiting a childhood favorite might be. You enjoyed it before, it may even have been the best thing in the world back then but now it was just nice to see, a fun reminder. I can practically see Hiei's smirk

"You are smart, Nuni and you are very intentional with your wording, the way you just said that is all the confirmation I needed to hear."

His words were obvious and I felt very stupid in that moment for missing something that Hiei had already seen.

I'm gonna kick his butt for that I can't help but smile and the second Atem sighs and pulls away from me I know he knows that my smile isn't from him.

"He's right." Atem's eyes were filled with pain.

"Who is?"

Playing dumb doesn't suit you Hiei's voice in my head is even more annoying than when it's in my ears.

"Nuni." Atem's knowing look isn't quite as patronizing as Hiei's "You will always be the love of my life." He combed his fingers through my hair in the way that only feels good when he does it. "But if I kiss you and another man is on your mind, what does that tell you?"

"That Hiei is annoying even when he's not here." I grumbled. My heart ached in all kinds of new ways as my brain reworked everything that had happened and that is going to happen because Hiei has infected my thoughts like a disease.

"You're trying to protect my feelings." Atem smiled but it's sad and that hurts more because he won't fight me.

"But I won't keep you from the person you really want to be with because you feel obligated to stay with me."

"Why do you think it'd be an obligation?" I demand but I can hear the change in me. I can't believe it took me this long to hear it. I am not so delicate anymore. I am not broken anymore.

"You always choose obligation over what makes you happy, Nuni. But I only want you to be happy. Even if it's now with me." He pecked a kiss to me cheek. "I must return to where I belong."

"You were going to miss your chance to go home just to stay with me, weren't you?" The realization felt like a sucker punch.

"I would give up everything for you." He told me, his honesty kind of getting on my nerves right now.

"Why aren't you mad at me?" I demand.

"I won't be angry with your decisions. You have the right to choose things for yourself." He spoke with the wisdom but his eyes reflected everything else. There was anger and sadness and frustration.

"Then fight for me." I snap and I hate that I'm telling him to fight because Hiei would.

"You are not a trophy. The man that is partnered with you will be the most fortunate man in any world. I only hope this demon spawn you've chosen is worth your time." He just couldn't help but throw that in there.

"You are amazing." I wrap my arms around him and hug him with all of my strength "thank you for everything."

I sighed and stood up.

"What's wrong?" Atem's concern was evident.

"I have to walk all the way back over there and pick a fight now."

Atem threw his head back and laughed. "I suppose you should wear your favorite boots then. The ones with the steel toes."

"Nah." I sighed "I don't want to mess up his face, it's kind of pretty." I stood up and patted his shoulder. "thank you."

"Anytime." He smiled "now go."

"Both you guys better stop telling me to go or we're gonna start having some real problems." I warned as I left anyway.
Author Notes:
Okay, Better decisions have been made. Nuni. But like eeesh. Hiei did say don't come back

Thank you so much for following this story. The next chapter is technically the last one but there is something that a lot of readers have been asking about since book one. This book will have a final spicy chapter,
However Hiei has yet to forgive her and he os not all that forgiving.
——-
If you have a chance please check out my published book London Boy. It came out in June and the first three chapter are available on my Wattpad profile.
Thank you for all your supporting me through this whole story. I'll be putting my focus on my DBZ story next as that is probably my most popular fanfic. I will also be participating in Nanowrimo and I'm hoping this story will be a story worthy of becoming one of the Wattpad stars and eventually a paid story