Ch 23: "Mistakes"

Warning: Cursing and violence (not too much, but just in case)

(Katie's pov)

The return to the base was kind of... silent. No talking, no laughing, just me looking at Felix as he still seemed to be holding tears back.
We got there in about half an hour.

Felix: I... I'll go upstairs to rest.
Katie: Sure... go ahead.

Was he going to cry there? Or was he just tired?

My thoughts were interrupted when Willow arrived.

Willow: I am back.
Kitty: Where were you?
Willow: I had to attend to a... personal matter.
Katie: Willow, we've got to talk.
Willow: What is it?
Katie: Look. We just lost a member, okay? What will we do? We've got to protect ourselves, that's what this group is supposed to be for!
Willow: Whatever happened to that guy was because you couldn't take care of him!

"Don't worry, Katie. It's not your fault".
But what if it was? What if it was my fault?
Wait, how did Willow know-?

Pandy: Stop, Willow. She has a heart, too. Not like you.
Willow: What did you just...

They got interrupted by Tigry, Pony and Baren, who had arrived. Willow's mad expression changed to a scared and confused one.

Willow: Where the f*ck is Rash?!

They just lowered their heads.

Willow: Where is Rash?!

Again, no one answered.

Willow: WHERE IS HE?!
Pony: We're sorry, okay? He got infected!

Willow looked at them, approached Tigry and grabbed his neck.

Willow: It was you, wasn't it? This is how you repay to me, huh?
Kitty: Stop! You are hurting him!
Willow: And why would I care?
Kitty: Because that defines if we stay or not.

She held him for a few more seconds, then released him and went upstairs quietly. And so did Tigry.

(Felix's pov)

I heard a lot of mess coming from downstairs, but I wasn't in the mood to go and see what was happening. Suddenly, the door of the room opened and Tigry came in. He didn't say anything; he just grabbed a pillow, hugged it and sat on his bed.

Felix: It's been a hard day, huh?
Tigry: And what would you know about it?
Felix: A lot.

We stayed silent, and someone knocked at the door.

Kitty: Tigry? Are you in there?
Tigry: Y-Yeah, come in.

Kitty came in, and I stood still to see what happened.

Kitty: Are you alright? Do you need something?
Tigry: No, I'm okay. Leave.
Kitty: Don't worry... I'll be here for you.
Tigry: I don't need that!
Kitty: H-Huh?
Tigry: Listen. I know you are such a great animal, even if you are clingy, and we spent a great time together, but I need to be alone right now. I don't need you.
Kitty: ... Are you saying all we went through means nothing?
Tigry: I'm saying you are no one to be behind me all the time and worrying about me!
Kitty: I do that because I care for you! I... I like you, okay?

They both stayed silent. Tigry wasn't really comfortable with that confession at the moment, and Kitty knew it.

Kitty: But since you don't need me, I guess I'll just... Leave. I'm sorry you had to witness this, Felix.

She left without saying anything, and I could see how Tigry just sat back on his bed.

Felix: What? Are you going to just let her go? This easy? Weren't you too mean? She just wanted to help!
Tigry: I can't stop her! Even if I wanted to... It's too late.
Felix: But didn't you want her?
Tigry: I... I don't.
Felix: Oh, come on, man! What about the multiple times you got shy and blushed in front of her? Or the fact that she was the only one you were always a softie with? Was that nothing?
Tigry: Look, I probably got confused and thought I liked her, it's one of the few times I got to be friends with someone, so that might be it! I never liked Kitty, can't you just understand it?
Felix: ...Maybe you are the one who should understand.

I didn't tell him anything else about it, I just got immersed in my thoughts.

"Tell me we didn't lose Foxy because of you, Katie..."

(Katie's pov)

I went outside, sat on the floor and started crying. Just like when I lost Brenda, I wondered why it wasn't me.
At that moment, I heard some footsteps behind me, and I felt a hand... a warm hand on my shoulder. I turned around expecting to see Felix.
It wasn't him.

Pony: Losing friends is hard, isn't it?
Katie: Hey there.

He sat by my side.

Katie: Have you lost that many people?
Pony: No, but... Rash... was one of my childhood friends.
Katie: What?
Pony: Yeah... Look at us now.
Katie: Can I ask you something? It's about Willow.
Pony: ... What is it?
Katie: She looked different when you guys arrived without Rash. It's like she was... worried about him. Do you know why?
Pony: Oh... Willow was also good friends with him. Since childhood too, actually.
Katie: Really?
Pony: Yeah. Back then... She was better. She used to be caring. But I guess it all changed when...
Katie: When?
Pony: I'm not supposed to be talking about this. It's something personal.
Katie: Oh... Okay, then.
Pony: What I'm trying to say is... Everybody, including you and me, makes mistakes. Mistakes make us what we are. The important thing is to learn from them. But I guess Willow couldn't. Fix your mistakes. Talk to Felix, and try helping him, okay? He must be stressed.
Katie: I will. Thanks, Pony.

I got up and went upstairs to my room. I opened the door and found Pandy hugging Kitty, as she cried loudly.

Katie: What happened here?