Sky x Soldier!Reader ~ Charade

[UNEDITED]

// ANGST \\

Words: 1220

(TW: Mentions of death)
This is mostly an abstract oneshot and will follow the melodic progression of the linked music^, therefore it is HIGHLY recommended to listen as you read. If you are reading according to the (approximate) pace of the music, you should end at about 3:13; before the climax.

NOTE: The linked video will not show up sometimes, so if this is the case for you, the theme is called "Event Horizon" by Really Slow Motion.

This oneshot may be difficult to understand as it can get contradictive, so I advise you to visualise this story as 'memory fragments' near the beginning.
Your character has an 'alter ego' which means they have an alternative personality. Consider it the reader's 'darker side' to their light.

Remember, 'dark' never necessarily means evil.

This does take inspiration from aspects of another game, so if you somehow manage to catch onto what I'm trying to do with this oneshot, comment below!

-

2nd POV
[BEGIN MUSIC]

A soldier. Warrior. Brave, heroic, courageous, full of life, honour and determination.

That's how you were, and how many others aspired to be. The way you'd sling your spear over your shoulder as if it were nothing but a simple task-- when realistically, most would struggle to lift it with only 2 hands. Everyone adored you for your courageous deeds as many would rather not risk their lives on the battlefield. What else could they have expected, when you were raised by Golden Wasteland's Elder, Tsadi, for most of your youth.

He taught you many things. How to be strong, diligent, resilient, and a soldier-- at most. The lifted corners of your eyes never ceased to droop down below. Your mask, partially shattered yet intact, continued to live on even after many years at war. After many years of fighting for the realms. After many years of fighting for your home. Your family. Friends. That was all you wanted in this universe. To live without fear.

There weren't particularly many who were part of the military; reason why you were so adored by the public since you would be considered a veteran at this point. But you were a veteran who survived way too long for their own good. Many found you to be quite young, others found you old. For what did it matter, as your job remained the same. As much as you wanted to take breaks, you knew you'd have to keep stepping up to fight for your people.

The bells and chimes would ring. The thunderous roars of the dark entities roaming about the skies, prompting to take over the realms. Why couldn't they simply stay put? You would ask yourself as you stood on the ledge of the tunnel in Golden Wasteland. The shipwreck in the distance reminded you of the past events of the war, one you were once part of at a very young age. The one who realised the harsh reality of the dark dragons. The threat they posed in the future. Now, what can you do but continue to exert your body over its limits?

To be a soldier, you needed to be diligent and determined in your role in this world. Even if it meant perishing in the most unwanted ways possible. You fight for a reason, and you will continue to do so until you have fulfilled your duty.

But how could you, when you stand there idling with your spear waiting for your final moments to come? The piercing blue to red as children and adults alike watch your unmoving figure near the shore. You couldn't bring yourself to continue in another war, but things still drive you forward into the hands of fate. Perhaps that was the case. Simply the fact your existence was part of this mutual, unending connection with fate. Why won't it stop? You don't want it to, as your drive to succeed exceeds your want for it to end. A pitiful cycle.

"[Y/N]! [Y/N]! [Y/N]!" Chants; over and over again. Calling out your name as if it held a worldwide significance to bring them luck, or to drive you forwards. You didn't want this recognition. Certainly not the recognition that would persistently drive you down into the pits of an unending cycle of undesirable effects. The way they would influence your subconscious. You hated it. You despised it, and now you tire of all this nonsense.

You tire of this charade.

Your body remains unmoving. Suspense fills the air when all the bystanders could hear are the roars of the dark dragon hovering above you. You huff out a scoff. It was almost unbelievable. You-- of all soldiers, faltering before the very being that once held fear of you. Why did it feel so relieving, however? When you didn't feel the intruding urge to fight on?

But the people.

You emit a low growl and try to shake off the intrusive thought. Of course you were aware of them. Always.

Looking to the side, you see yourself once more in a fully-fledged form. A replica from the heart; fully engulfed in shadows as its beady, sharp eyes blink with little to no apprehension at the dark dragon. As if it's experienced this scenario way too many times for it to be worth running away from. It looks towards you, the eyes-- unlike your own in its usual facade, holds a tired expression. One you found foreign despite understanding its origins. "Do you still wish to continue in this lifeless realm?" It asks.

You give a soft sigh, feeling the aftermath of reflection of the past taking a toll on you. Mentally and physically. But you have to fight on. "Yes. I will do whatever it takes."

"Do you not understand yourself anymore?" It blinks slowly, clasping its hands together as it watches you. Time seems to slow, the chants begin to fade. Now you're on your own. The feeling of cold hands make contact with your mask, the dark figure holding your face firmly in the palm of its hands. You find comfort in them, so you lightly press your cheek against the cold surfaces. "I advise you to not make the same mistake your father once did."

"And?" You smile, pained. "He's gone now." The way you continued with this fearless charade no longer fools anyone. At least to yourself.

"Yes, but remember the one thing he told you before his passing." It presses its forehead against yours. "It is never wrong to take a break. Even if it means to forever let go." A light peck between your eyes, one you thought was a soft kiss of affirmation and affection. Perhaps you do need one.

Wasn't that all you wanted?

A break.

A break.

..A break.

After all, you did tire of this charade.

You accepted your fate.

-

I understand if this oneshot may not be your cup of tea, but I received so much inspiration from taking breaks from social medias and constant social interaction-- that I became overwhelmed. I'm sorry to those who may be wondering where my text messages have gone. But why is answering DMs so tiring sometimes?

Anyway, I apologise for any grammatical errors. It's 1AM. I should get some sleep.

Thanks for reading!