Chapter 21

"Didn't mean to startle you, Doll," Bucky apologized as he walked out of the bathroom.

     I tried to relax myself upon realizing that he wasn't a threat. Slowing my breathing, reduced my heart rate and nerves.

     We were both quiet for several minutes.

     "When Steve gets back I'm going to ask him to get us some more clothes," Bucky said. "I got out of the shower and realized that the only clothes I had were the ones I just got out of."

     Nodding, I agreed with him.

     "Might ask him for some books or something too. Not a lot to do here."

     I made no response to this comment.

     "You're being pretty quiet," Bucky noted.

     "I- I- I just wish I knew who I am. Or least who I was."

     Bucky gave me a sad smile. "You're...you, Doll. We just have to find out some more about you."

     "Right." I wiped away a tear that was running down my cheek with the back of my left hand.

      His deep blue eyes locked with mine. "It'll hurt and probably take some time. But you will figure it out, because they didn't change who you are."

      I pressed my lips hard together to suppress the tears that wanted to flow down my face.

     "I'll be here to help you, Doll. Steve will too," he promised me.

     Looking down at the floor I whispered, "Thank you" before I went to lay down on my sleeping bag.

     Steve returned to the apartment around 1:30pm empty handed.

     "What have you been doing all day?" I asked.

     He replied vaguely, "Running errands."

     "You guys hungry?" Steve asked as he pulled out the fixings for sandwiches.

     We each made our own sandwiches and began eating.

      "What's your next crazy Captain America story?" I asked, having become accustomed to Steve sharing about his adventures during mealtimes.

     "Last year, the Avengers reassembled to bring down HYDRA. We found out that a HYDRA base in Sokovia was using Loki's Scepter to create an army of enhanced soldiers so we raided the facility. Or at least that was the plan, until we met the products of their experimentation," Steve began.

     "How many?" I asked.

     "Only two. They made it difficult, but we were able to retrieve the Scepter."

     Steve recalled, "Clint was injured pretty badly so we had to hurry back home."

     "Stark Tower was now Avengers Tower. Maria gave us the run down on the two enhanced upon our arrival."

     "The pair was orphaned at age 10 when a shell collapsed their apartment building."

     "Pietro Maximoff gained super speed from HYDRA's experiments," Steve said and flashed a picture of a man with messy white hair who was wearing a tracksuit.

     "Pietro's twin sister, Wanda Maximoff, underwent the same experiments as her brother, only she gained psionic energy manipulation, telekinesis, force-field generation, telepathy, and mental and emotional manipulation powers because of it."

     An auburn haired girl wore a fitted red leather coat and lace-up red corset while glowing red power came from her hands in the picture Steve showed me. I felt connected to her through the abuse we had both suffered at the hands of HYDRA.