12. Rewriting Girl Code

Brooke, Stick, Tad, and I were all sat at a table at Pat's, all of us staring at our phones. I screwed up part of audition, and I was worried I wasn't going to make it.

"Why hasn't Ms. Page e-mailed us yet?" Brooke quizzed, annoyed. "She's a teacher. What is she so busy doing?"

Stick answered as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Having a life?"

Tad chuckled, "Good one." He pointed his finger jokingly at Stick before looking back down at his phone.

"I think my inbox is slow," my girlfriend told us, not even noticing Ashley come up behind her and set her coffee on the table. 

"What's so important about this e-mail?" my sister questioned curiously.

Brooke spun around and replied, "It's the cast list for Only Human, the musical the new drama teacher wrote based on the YA novel that everyone read."

"Except me," Ashley pointed out. "In case you guys aren't aware, I'm a little behind on pop culture-"

"Oh, we're aware," I interrupted quickly, referring to the many times that she didn't know what we were talking about because she hadn't seen a movie or heard a song.

"-but I did just start listening to Beyoncé," she continued as if I hadn't spoken. "Lemonade, am I right?"

I scrunched my face up at my sister's attempt to be cool as Brooke nodded. "Still behind, but proud of you," she told her. "Can't wait 'til you discover Billie Eilish in four years."

Ashley rolled her eyes, sitting down by Tad as Stick informed her, "Ash, you'd love Only Human. It's set in the future, where everyone marries robots because human love causes too many problems."

Tad nods. "I think it's based on a true story." Ashley chuckled slightly while everyone looked at him for a second. 

"The show is centered on Eve," I explained, "played by the lovely Brooke, fingers crossed, who is in a love triangle with a guy named Sergio and a robot named Robio."

"I really hope I get Sergio or Robio 'cause then I'm in lots of scenes with Eve. Finger crossed. That way, I won't have to spend that much time talking to other people I don't know."

"I really hope I get chorus boy," Tad said excitedly. "No lines to remember... Fingers crossed."

"Ah," I nodded, "Tough role. Sure you're up for it?" Tad looked at me questioningly for a few seconds before I moved on. "I hope I get any character at all. I just want to be a part of the production and hang out with my girl." 

Brooke smiled at me, and Ashley smiled, "I'm so nervous for everyone, and I'm not even up for a role."

Everyone's phones chimed and we all immediately looked at the email that we each received. It was the cast list for the musical. Before I could check mine Brooke exclaimed, "I got Eve!" I smiled and laughed excitedly for her before looking back down at my phone. Stick congratulated her as I scrolled down to find my own name. I had gotten a side character that had a song in the play, but not a major role in the story.

"I didn't get chorus boy," Tad breathed out, defeated. "I got Sergio."

Everyone's eyes widened at that. I groaned internally, knowing that this would leave only one spot for Stick to get a lead. "Oh, my God," Brooke exclaimed. 

"You're the lead?" Stick questioned in a slightly jealous tone. Although I wanted Stick to get it, I guess it wasn't too bad that Tad ended up with it considering he's so helplessly in love with my sister. 

Tad sighed, "We don't always get what we want." He stood up quickly and walked out, disappointed. 

Stick's phone chimed, and I crossed my fingers under the table. "Stick, what did you get?" Ashley asked curiously.

"I'm Tree," he responded, looking up at the rest of us. My stomach dropped knowing that Blaine St. Claire was most likely going to get the role. I was pretty sure he was gay, but you can never be too safe.

"Is that a good part?" 

---

Ashley and I were sitting in Pat's. It really was strange how much time we spent there. She was working on her weird science stuff, and I was eating a cookie. I picked up my phone and texted Brooke to see if she wanted me to grab one for her.

After a few minutes, my phone chimed, signaling that my girlfriend had texted back. Once I looked at the text, I frowned. "That's weird." Ashley looked up to see what I was talking about, and I filled her in. "I texted Brooke to see if she wanted a cookie, and texted back 'k,' not 'heart k.' She's always sent 'heart k,' even before we were dating. I'm so not 'heart k' with this. I think she's mad at me, but I didn't do anything wrong."

"Or...maybe you did," Ashley replied, causing me to look up from my phone in shock."Brooke told me that when you saw Blaine St. Claire rehearsing with Brooke, you were mean to him."

"What?" I questioned. "No. Here's what happened."

I walked into Pat's to see Brooke and Blaine St. Claire on the couch. Blaine had sunglasses on with his shirt unbuttoned. His posture was horrible in an attempt to look cool. They were giggling as they rehearsed. I walked up behind my girlfriend and greeted her, "Hey."

Brooke cleared her throat. "Oh, hey Athena," she answered, "I'm just running lines with Blaine St. Claire." I took a seat in a nearby chair.

I nodded, replying, "No worries. I understand. I'm not even here." I sat back in my chair to watch them practice. They then started flirting like I wasn't there. Blaine had his arm around Brooke, and their faces were really close together.

"And that's what happened," I finished, taking a bite of my cookie. "They were totally flirting."

Ashley furrowed her eyebrows. "That's not what Brooke told me. She said that you were acting all jealous and mean to Blaine St. Claire even though there was nothing going on."

"Really?" I quizzed. Was that really what happened? Had I made up an entire scenario in my head? Was I the jealous girlfriend that doesn't let my significant other do anything?

Ashley nodded, "That's what she said, but I'm sure that's not what happened. Maybe both of you kind of exaggerated some things."

"Yeah, maybe."

---

"Hey," I greeted, waiting outside of Brooke's room to be invited in. "Can I come in?"

Brooke sighed, putting down the magazine that she was reading. "I guess." As I stepped in and walked towards her, she refused to look me in the eye.

"I want to talk," I informed her, "It seems we may have gotten some signals crossed. Ashley told me what you said to her, and I don't remember it happening that way. I just wanted to clear everything up." I took a deep breath before saying, "I'm sorry for getting so jealous."

Brooke looked up at me with an expression that I couldn't read. She swallowed, "I'm sorry too. I admit, I was kind of flirting with Blaine St, Claire. I don't know why, he doesn't even like girls." 

"Are we good now?" I asked hopefully.

Brooke smiled and responded, "Yeah, we're good now."

"Makeup song?" I questioned, wanting to use our usual method of reconciliation. 

"What are we singing?"