07. Hasta La Vista, Baby

"Athena can do it!" 

I heard my sister's voice as I walked out of my room. "What?" I asked, dazed because I had just woken up from my nap and I still wasn't fully awake yet. Suddenly, I saw Ashley, Brooke, and Stick coming toward me.

"Ashley, will you help Brooke with her GEmS video?" my sister asked.

"Um-"

"I would do it, but editing and film making aren't really my things, and Stick can edit, but he's won't be any good at helping Brooke talk about herself," she interrupted.

"Sure," I replied.

"Really?" Brooke questioned from behind Ashley.

"Yeah, I'd love to help you."

---------------

Stick had helped us set up the camera before we ordered him to go get up some coffee and cake. I asked Brooke what she wanted to do, so she pulled out a box. She was now telling me the contents of the box.

"And here is something the GEmS committee might like to know about." She whipped out a napkin that had lipstick on it. "This is a napkin that Kylie Jenner used to blot her lipstick."

"Really?" I asked, grabbing the napkin before recollecting myself and putting it back down on the table, "But the GEmS committee is gonna wanna know what makes you a good match for their program. How does this or any of the stuff you brought tell me who you are, aside from being a celebrity stalker?"

"Kylie dropped this," Brooke defended.

A boy then walked up to the table and grabbed the ketchup that was sitting on the table next to where I was. "Can I borrow this?" she asked me.

"Sure, as long as you promise to return it," I answered, "It was my great-grandfather's" The boy laughed, before walking back to his table. I turned back to Brooke who was looking at the boy, "Let's try again. Tell me one surprising, wonderful thing about yourself."

"I think that boy is into you," Brooke said, looking back at me. I was kind of shocked, not expecting that, but also kind of relieved that she wasn't looking because he was cute.

I sighed, "I asked you a personal question, and you changed the subject."

"He is totally checking you out."

I continued, "You're still doing it. What's so hard about saying why you're qualified to mentor girls? Go."

"I don't love talking about myself," Brooke replied, finally moving on from talking about the boy. "Why aren't you dating anyone?"

"Whoa."

"But, seriously."

I laughed nervously, "We're interviewing you here, not me."

"You're good-looking," she said, looking at my face.

I blushed a little bit but tried to cover it up with a comment. "Glad you noticed."

"And you're funny. Why don't you go after guys? Or girls."

"Hobbies. Do you have any hobbies?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "Why are we talking about this?"

"A cute guy flirted with you, you made a decent joke,  and you're not even gonna do anything about it," she stressed.

I took a deep breath, "Why do you care so much?"

"I'm a giver," she answered, "It's a curse."

We were now in the middle of Pat's. I don't even remember standing up and I was starting to get a little annoyed. "Aha! Found your hobby: giving unwanted advice."

She looked taken aback and she started walking back to the table. "Maybe I should just go." She grabbed her box of stuff before telling me, "And I have hobbies. Jumping rope, hula hoop, finding the perfect gourmet doughnut." She was sticking things into her box now.

"But none of that's the real you, and this, this is just cool junk you couldn't sell at a garage sale."

"I could get $300 for this napkin. There is interest on eBay," she yelled before standing up and dropping her box. I ran over to help her grab her stuff when I saw a bunch of envelopes.

"What are all these thank yous?" I questioned, picking one up.

She sighed, "I didn't mean to bring those. It's nothing." She grabbed the envelope from my hand and walked out with her box. That is when I noticed a letter that didn't make it back in the box.

--------------

I decided to show Ashley the video that Stick and I had put together. We had taken the footage that we had recorded and cut it to fit the other videos that we had recorded. And to be honest, I was really proud of it.

"You know, I always thought Brooke was just a popular girl who did makeup tutorials, but part of me suspected she might actually be interesting," Stick told Ashley as I glared at him.

"I hope you didn't phrase it like that in the video," Ashley said.

I sighed, before handing Ashley the letter I had picked up earlier, "I found this thank you note with a return address. It wound up giving us a take on Brooke's video résumé. We wanted to show it to you before we showed it to Brooke."

As the video played, I couldn't help but smile when I saw her. And all of the things that she has done. Man, I am in love with this girl.

------------

After Brooke told me about her aunt, I felt kind of bad. But, I promised to beat up whoever asked questions and that convinced her to let up use the video. Walking home, I really wanted to burst out in song for no reason. I was really annoyed when people did it in movies, but now I get it. Sometimes you just have to express your emotions through something that is other than talking or writing.

Third Person:

It seemed like Brooke had the same idea.

Bold is Athena

Italics is Brooke

Underlined is both

This was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got some brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion

It's not what, I'm used to
Just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry Chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I like it, I liked it

Us girls we are so magical
Soft skin, red lips, so kissable
Hard to resist, so touchable
Too good to, deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry Chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I like it, I liked it