Welcome to Republic City Pt.1

Start from the beginning

" I love you, too, Mom," Elira said sarcastically.

"Mommy, look!" Meelo called out, making them look over to see he had covered himself in snow while his two older sisters played in the snow behind him.

"I'm a snowbender!" He suddenly blasted the snow off himself using airbending, excitedly covering his irritated-looking mother.

Pema shook her head to remove the snow, leaving her hair a mess, before turning back to Azira and Katara. "Were Tenzin and his siblings this crazy when they were kids?"

"Ursa and Bumi certainly were. But Tenzin has always been ...rather serious," Azira replied with a teasing smirk at her son.

Tenzin did not look impressed. "Mother. Please"

Elira couldn't help but giggle a little as her grandmother and great-aunt chuckled before she then noticed a third figure standing patiently behind them. Her face lit up into a wide grin.

"Korra!" She quickly ran over to the Avatar, embracing her friend.

"El!"

Pichi chittered and jumped onto the avatar's shoulders.

"Hello to you too, Pichi" Korra gave the lemur a scratch behind her slightly chipped ear, making her purr.

"I'm so glad you're here, El. It's been so boring without you to liven things up" The Avatar then grinned at her friend.

"Glad to know I leave an impression" Elira smirked jokingly, making Korra laugh as Tenzin came over to them.

"Korra?"

Pichi landed back on Elira's shoulder as Korra ran to the older airbender with a big smile.

Elira watched her go before her siblings suddenly swarmed her. Meelo jumped onto her back while her sisters tugged on her arms. She giggled and began to chase them playfully, making them squeal.

"Look at you, so big and strong" Tenzin placed his hands on Korra's shoulders. "You've grown into quite the young Avatar."

"Master Tenzin, I'm so glad you're here. I can't wait to get started." Korra beamed

" Yes, well ..." Tenzin sighed, looking a little hesitant.

"You're going to have to tell her sooner or later." Pema chimed in

"Wait, tell me what?" Korra looked at the man, confused

"You're not staying, are you?" Azira asked sadly.

Tenzin sighed again. "I'm afraid not. We're only visiting for the night. Then I have to return to Republic City."

"But, no, you're supposed to move here. You're supposed to teach me" Korra looked sad and disappointed.

"I'm sorry, Korra. Your airbending training is going to have to wait."

*

That night, after helping her mother wrangle the kids into bed, Elira sat at a table next to Korra with her father and the leader of the White Lotus. Pichi was hidden under the table by Elira's feet, happily munching on the bits of food her owner would sneak her.

"So, how long until you're ready to teach me airbending?" Korra asked, " A week? A month?"

"It could be much longer", Tenzin replied

"I don't understand. Why are you making me wait?" Korra frowned

"I have a responsibility to Republic City. I am one of its leaders, and the situation there is very unstable right now."