"But I'm not really like you, Darkshadow," Ospreypaw said with a frown. "What if more training doesn't help? I could end up worse in the end."

     "Nonsense. You and I are plenty alike," Darkshadow said, shaking his head. "We're practically kin, Osprey. Me, raised by Ripplestar, and you, descended from her sister!"

     Ospreypaw realized he meant Sleekthistle. "Yeah, I guess you have a point! Do you really think I can get strong like you?"

     "I wouldn't be encouraging you so much if I didn't," Darkshadow purred. "Come on, let's give it another go."

     Ospreypaw jumped to their paws immediately, excited to spar their mentor again. Before they could begin, a third set of paws approached, scuffing the sand furiously. Ospreypaw peered around Darkshadow and saw Wavedance approaching. Her blue-and-orange eyes were wide with fury and her creamy-fawn fur bristled. As she neared, Ospreypaw could practically feel the anger coming from their mother.

     With a frown, Ospreypaw realized that Wavedance's focus rested on Darkshadow. They quickly jumped forward, hoping to stop her before she caused a scene. "Mom—"

     "Darkshadow!" Wavedance hissed, ignoring Ospreypaw. "How dare you push them when they're sick!"

     "Osprey doesn't look sick to me," Darkshadow retorted evenly, meeting Wavedance's stare.

     "Mom, I feel fine!" Ospreypaw hissed, nudging her away. Wavedance resisted with a worried growl.

     "That's how it starts!" she said and turned to Ospreypaw. "Look at you—it's a good thing Sticklefur noticed and said something to me. Now, go see Riverflower, she's waiting for you."

     "Seriously?" Ospreypaw groaned. They dared a glance at Darkshadow; it was embarrassing to be treated like a helpless kit in front of him. He wasn't looking at them, though. Instead, his gaze was fixed firmly on Wavedance, his green eyes smoldering so darkly, Ospreypaw felt their fur heat up with unease.

     "Yes, seriously," Wavedance said, pushing them back toward the camp.

     After a final hesitation, Ospreypaw obeyed their mother and returned to the camp. They couldn't keep their ears from flattening, nor their tail from drooping and dragging in the sand. Behind them, they could hear Wavedance and Darkshadow raise their voices at each other as they continued bickering.

     Just like Wavedance said, Riverflower waited for them outside the medicine den. The healer met them with a criticizing glare and ushered them into her den. Ospreypaw didn't try to argue as the blue-furred molly lectured them. Instead, they sat quietly and let Riverflower inspect them for any other signs of illness.

     "You should have come to me!" Riverflower muttered when she finished, flicking her tail. "I want you to stay by me for the day. This might be serious, and I need to watch over you."

     Ospreypaw bristled in defiance. "But my training—!"

     "Your training can wait," Riverflower shot them a harsh glance before she let out a sigh. "You can begin again when you're feeling better. Now, stay put while I fetch something."

     Ospreypaw held their tongue as Riverflower whisked around and headed toward a cluster of tall, flat stones. The apprentice hadn't taken notice of them before. Compared to the reeds that sheltered the den and the soft, cool earth, they looked out of place. Scores ran deep in the stones—markings so ancient that Ospreypaw couldn't tell what caused them.

     While Riverflower rummaged around her herb stores, voices drifted through the walls of reeds. Ospreypaw perked their ears, listening to the hushed sounds. They soon realized that the voices belonged to their parents. Wavedance sounded just as furious as before, and Beaverpatch was making some kind of attempt at calming her.