CHAPTER 17: TAUNTING TAYLYNN

Start from the beginning

"You didn't answer my question. The staff?"

"Within the forest, she will find a weapon—"

"The staff."

"Yes, yes, you keep mentioning it and I have no—" Her eyes widened a measure. The surprise was there and gone in a flash. "Isabella's Staff," she whispered, almost too quiet to be heard.

He clicked his tongue. "Well, well well. Isn't this a funny turn of events? And here I thought you knew everything."

"I do," she snapped, hugging her waist. "...Usually." She dropped her arms and began to pace, forehead furrowed. He watched her, his eyes never leaving her figure. Her gown was sheer, not so different than the ones she often donned while she was in Esterpine. He found it interesting that those times he'd seen her in the wild, she dressed more like a huntress. But here, she looked every bit the princess her title named her. He couldn't help the way his eyes fell upon her features, appreciating the sight of her more than he should have.

She halted, turning to him. "I was told of a weapon, but certainly not...wait a moment, how do you know of the staff?"

"Oh, this is great." He allowed a smug smile take up residence on his face, sure it would irk her. "How does it feel? Hmm? Someone else holding the cards?"

She took several steps towards him until her chest was all but flush to his. He took a single step back to break the contact, failing to hide his surprise. Somehow, despite only reaching his chest, it was as if she were looking down her nose at him, making him feel...insignificant. His temper flared. "This isn't the time for games, my lord. You think all that is happening within Dragonwall is a something to take lightly? Leave your insufferable pride behind. Tell me what you know if it."

"Hmm. Interesting." This time he reclaimed that single step, making up the remaining distance between them. Now her chest was truly flush to him. He ignored the warmth where their bodies connected. "You know, I think I'll keep it to myself, Your Highness. My queen's business—though it involves all of Dragonwall—is still hers. Besides—" His smile widened. "—I'm sure there will be plenty of time to ask her about it while we travel together."

He didn't miss the flush of irritation that colored her cheeks or the glitter that filled her ancient eyes. He was playing with fire. After all, she was thousands of years older than he.

Her shoulders dropped. "It was Saffra," she decided. "Of course. I see it now..." This close, he could see each of the little creases that appeared between Taylynn's brows as they drew together. "Good. Yes, very good. It is as I hoped, then. Her powers are strengthening. The water helped more than I could have predicted."

It was his turn to frown. "Why do I get the impression that your manipulations have extended to our prophetess." He hadn't forgotten Prince Feowen's words.

A huff of air left her nose. "Because they have," she snapped. "But as you so clearly laid out, this is my business and therefore none of your concern."

"Ah. So we are going to play that game. Very well then, Princess. I feel validated, then, in refusing to reveal all that our Lady Saffra has seen."

"Of course you do," she said, glaring at him. "You Drengr are all the same."

Instead of feeling insulted, the heat of satisfaction filled his veins. She was easier to rile than he'd first expected, given the way her breathing heightened and her chest rose and fell against him. Still, he dared not back down.

"We are. So you can hardly fault me for keeping silent."

"Fine," she hissed, taking several steps back. "Keep your secrets, Drengr. I shall know soon enough."