guess whose back in town | Lamelo

i'm really excited to start writing again! my dms are open for requests, feel free to message me to fulfill your spiciest, sexiest, and most sinful desires ;)

i love reading comments, so please feel at comfort to share your feelings or any feedback or feed forward at anytime. comment what you may love or in some instances not like or favour. your comments are so greatly appreciated.

i love you guys. and thank you for continuing to support this series.

-b<3

_

your pov

I moved away from california because i couldn't cope with the high demand of the city. I needed time for myself. To think. To be safe. To exist. A lot of people called me selfish, I turned down my college scholarship to play basketball. And to some extent my family agreed. It was disheartening, but to sacrifice my mental health over a basketball scholarship was, due to the media, "conceited, selfish, and ungrateful". I moved into my aunts house in Hawai'i and focused on regathering the little sympathy I had for myself. Living in my ideal paradise helped me isolate from the world and the media. It helped me understand how everyone is stuck in the cycle of doing something "purposeful" to distract them from their personal problems.

When i was in california my parents were close with the Ball family. My father and lavar played football together, while my mother and Tina were bestfriends. Melo and I were childhood bestfriends. I still miss him, but ever since I left we slowly lost contact as life moved on. He moved into big things, had relationships and made the nba. But struggled with the act of growing up. When i stopped using social media, he made the effort to handwrite and post letters to me. It was when he had started his most recent relationship with his ex when he stopped writing. I can understand why.

When i made the decision to move back to california and regroup with my balling agency, everyone was static. colleges opened their roll and offered me scholarships. the self-reflection i had in Hawai'i made me realize how privileged was. I was only a way for a year, but for colleges to reconsider me a year later really made me appreciate the relationships and support i had. I resit my SAT's and wrote many extensive essays. I didn't have to, but i insisted. i didn't want to get roped into a media whirlpool of  misconceptions and assumptions.

I accepted Stanford's offer and planned to move in a couple of days. I pleaded to my family to not tell anyone. I didn't want anyone to make it a big deal.

When i arrived back in california my parents and siblings were waiting at the gate. it was the most refreshing and humbling feeling to see such welcoming, familiar faces.

"so how are you, my baby. we've missed you so much" my father said, looking back over the drivers seat and holding my hand.

"i've been so great dad, it was the best. aunty kalani taught me so much. i joined a summer school to keep my studies and worked at the elementary school as a basketball tutor in the junior winter. i learnt so much from the land and especially the ancestral history. i took an astronomy course, where we did a six week conservation and camp on the top of a mountain. we studied the stars, it was honestly the happiest i've ever felt!" i replied. my mum started crying. my older sister snuggled into my shoulder.

"we are so very proud of you baby." mum said, "please never think we did not love you for your choice to move. we always want the best for our babies, even if that means finding yourself before your purpose" she spoke.

I felt a tear run down my cheek, it was a reality check. to know you have a supportive family that makes you feel validated. not everyone has that, and i was so truly grateful for what i had.