Twenty-Six

(Kaito's POV)

It was an odd request, watching only Miku while everyone else went out to dinner, but of course I agreed to it. Actually, it was kind of perfect since I needed to ask her about Yohioloid.

And honestly, it always seemed like she was more energetic when I was here compared to when Luka and Meiko were around. I guess she really liked me, which was sweet.

But no, tonight was definitely important. Aside from talking to Miku, I had a little something for Meiko. I'd heard complaints about Yohioloid taking over the talent show thing, and I wanted to give her something to try to relieve that stress. However, chances are I would just give it to Luka to give to her. I wasn't sure if she was ready to face me yet.

Not surprisingly, Meiko had already left when I got to the house. Luka hugged me and, of course, that caused Yohioloid to give me a death glare. The twins latched onto my legs, disappointed that they wouldn't be hanging out with us. I smiled and told them we would hang out soon, but I looked around and realized Miku was nowhere to be seen.

After everyone left, I wandered down the hall and found her reading on her bed. I knocked on the door even though it was already open, just to get her attention.

Miku looked up with a surprised expression. I don't think she even realized I had arrived. "You're here already? It's not six yet."

"Time flies when you're reading, I guess," I responded, walking over to her. "Did you say bye to everyone before they left?"

She blinked. "I didn't even realize they were gone already. Nobody told me."

"Oh. Well, they just went to get in the car, you might be able to catch them if you hurry-"

"Nah," she shut her book and stood up. "They'll be fine. Anyways, I'm starving, could we go make some dinner?"

I hadn't eaten either, so together we raided the pantry. We found some sandwiches and chips and, of course, ice cream. Not long after, we broke out the nail polish. "You should work at a salon," I told Miku.

She was currently filing my nails. "Maybe," she said casually.

"I mean, it's actually very impressive," I went on. "I'm a grown man and you can even make it look nice on me!"

I saw her smile a little.

"Um, so... Miku," I started nervously. "How do you like Yohioloid?"

She shrugged, not looking up. "He's nice."

"Is he, or are you just saying that?"

Miku paused and glanced up at me.

I swallowed. No way I could back down now. "Is he nice to you?"

Hesitantly, she shook her head.

"When you guys came to the ice cream shop, I saw him hurt you," I said, leaning forward a bit. "What's going on, Miku?"

She set the nail file down and sat back on her heels. I could tell she was nervous. "He doesn't like me at all. He probably hates me, actually. I'm so scared of him."

"Then why didn't you tell somebody what he's been doing?" I inched a little closer, resting my hand on top of hers.

Miku shook her head and I heard her voice crack as she spoke. "He's Rin and Len's dad. I can tell they're so happy to have him here, and if I say something it'll ruin everything. Then they might hate me too."

I held my arms out and she leaned against me, even though she was silent I could feel her start to cry.

"Do you want me to tell Luka?" I asked, putting an arm on her shoulder.