Week 13 Part 2 (Monday)

Start from the beginning

     "It was probably a bad idea to drink coffee before a plane," Sarah whispers, showing me her jittery hands.

     "Girl, we're getting there at eleven in the morning. Order more! Commit to this mistake! You're not going to be sleeping for at least sixteen hours," I joke, and she laughs.

     I drag my bags out of the Uber and I feel much more relieved that I'm not carrying a razor through TSA. It's back in the hotel. I confidently, but weakly, drag my bag through TSA, and of course it's all cleared.

     They check my passport, and I go through security. Mom gets set off by the metal detector for her necklace, but once she reluctantly takes it off, we all move forward, trying to find the International Terminal B3. Once we find it, we see Hannah, Ann, Joanne, and Gia.

     "It's too early!" Hannah complains, blinking a lot to keep herself awake.

     "Can you guys watch Sarah and Lilly while we get Starbucks? Do you want us to get something for you guys?" Michelle asks the four of them.

     "Coffee!" Gia and Hannah whine.

     "Ok, a small coffee for the two of them. Lilly, I'll get you ice water. Ann, Joanne, want anything?" Mom clarifies.

     "No, no, nothing for us," Joanne answers.

     Sarah sips on her coffee, and Gia and Hannah practically drool over her coffee. It's ten grueling minutes of Hannah and Gia following Sarah around as she's just peacefully trying to drink her coffee.

     Suddenly, our saviors, Michelle and Mom, come with two of those trays. I see my ice water. Non-caffeinated, no calorie solution to my problem. My savior. Also, behind them, are Tricia, Ashley, Pressley, and Brady, with their fancy drinks.

     I gulp down the ice water, the freezing liquid waking me up a bit. I'm still ridiculously tired, but it does make me a bit more alert. Unlike everybody else, who is now forced to live with her horrible mistake, I will be sleeping.

     "If you guys complain today about being tired because we let you have coffee and you get no sleep, we'll make sure you guys are all on the bottom of the pyramid," Mom jokes.

     In our delirious five-thirty state, we all start laughing hysterically. Thirty minutes until boarding. The nerves of flight takeoff hit me like a trainwreck all of a sudden, and I withdraw myself away from the group, getting a separate chair to lounge on until boarding.

     I try some breathing exercises, but to no avail, my anxiety is not cured. I give the employee my boarding pass and head to the connector with Sarah. We grab some seats and both of us anxiously wait. I let her have the window seat this time.

     "I have horrible plane anxiety, especially during takeoffs" I confess.

     "Oh my God, same!" Sarah says, and we hold each other's hand to calm ourselves.

     As the plane takes off, we both start shaking and I start to lose my breath. We hold each other as the loud roaring of the jets scares us to high heaven. We zoom off the runway and we're in the air within the next five minutes.

     "Alright, it's alright, we're done. We're in the air. We have a couple of hours before we land. I'm going to go to sleep," I say, attempting to find a comfortable position.

     Behind us, I can hear Hannah and Gia and their immediate regrets about drinking coffee. Brady and Pressley are next to us. They don't care. Props to them, I guess. I guess this is one of the good times my eating disorder has saved me from something bad other than gaining weight.