The Phone Call and Frozen Yogurt

Start from the beginning

And I hope to god that it’s a good change.

My parents finally break their silence soon after Hailey’s sentence comes to a close, their smiles twisting into confusion as their eyebrows begin to furrow. It’s strange how my parents are so in sync with one another- their personalities entirely opposite but their emotions so strongly tethered, their minds connected in ways I have never understood.

For a second, I find my own thoughts wandering to an image of the future, Hailey and I standing beside one another, filling similar roles, eyebrows furrowing and mouths turning into different expressions at the same time. Sensing each other’s feelings, reflecting them simultaneously. 

I can feel my cheeks begin to burn, so I stop myself, letting the idea go as quickly as it appeared.

My mom shakes her head back and forth, as to clear whatever is muddling her insides, and whispers all too gently, echoing what Ally said before, “We were so worried about you two. When the rain started, we thought you would come home, but when you didn’t and then the flood warning came on the radio, we didn’t know what to think.”

She slowly makes her way to stand in front of me, her eyes directly set on looking into my own. Her face is still contorted into something strange as she stares me down, as if recognizing that something is different; that within me, something is no longer what it used to be. “We tried to get ahold of you but the calls kept dropping.”

She reaches out to rest her hands atop my shoulders, freezing fingers that later pull me into a tight hug as she adds, “I’m just so glad you’re okay.” 

I reassure her as she pulls away, “Don’t worry, we’re both fine, I promise. The rain was pretty bad downtown, but not too bad. We’re alright.”

Ally begins to sing a song in the background, lightening the anxious mood that the whole ordeal contains, as she skips over to my dad’s side.

“You left the bike back at the shop, right?” He asks, his voice weary, taking my sisters hand after smiling down at her. “I didn’t hear you pull it into the driveway, and I’m hoping you didn’t ride it while the streets were wet, because that’s dangerous and you could have gotten hurt-”

I find myself smiling now too, because this is my dad’s way of showing that he was worried, as parallel as it seems. He’s always the strong one, the tough one- never showing any hints of apprehension or distress. “Yeah, it’s back at the shop,” I interrupt him, hoping to avoid the lecture that would have ensued, “I’ll have to pick it up later.”

“Actually,” he continues, rubbing his eyes and stifling a yawn, “Your mom and I have to go check the car shop, make sure nothing is damaged. By that time, the streets should be mostly dry and I can stop by to pick it up.” 

“Thanks,” I tell him, attempting to gain control of my fatigue as the edges of my mouth are beginning to form a yawn of its own. Suddenly, Hailey is beside me, and she’s leaning against me, her warmth finding its way into my arm and spreading across my body. I think I could fall asleep right then and there. “It’s parked in the same place as always.”

I adjust my arm so that it conforms around the back Hailey’s waist, holding her gently. My dad begins to pat his pockets, searching for his car keys, “Got it.” he replies, nodding at me as my mom adds, 

“Make sure to watch your sister while we’re gone.” Then, they start to move towards the door, my mom following closely behind my dad after he lets go of Ally’s hand and she gives them a small wave.

Then, as they cross the threshold, I’m reminded of the conversation Hailey and I had in the taxi, and although it’s faint and blurry on account of my falling apart, I remember one important detail.