Chapter Twenty-Two: Late Night Reconciliation

Start from the beginning

Because if Dipper was simply "playing with fire" just going through the journal, then she was practically taking it to bed regularly.

༛༛ ༛ ༛༺༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

It was close to 11 at night that the twins had awoken to the loud creak of their door. At first, they had thought it was a creature that had broken into the house, or at least it was Stan sneaking around for whatever snacks they had smuggled into the room.

But after jumping out of bed, and with Mabel brandishing a lone mini golf club, the two were even more surprised to see an awkward and slightly disheveled Y/n standing in the doorway.

"Uh, hey," she spoke quietly, shuffling her way into the room. If she was concerned as to why the twins were so quick to assume defensive positions, she didn't show it. She was there strictly on "business."

Dipper, tired but not tired enough to put aside what little animosity he still had with her, nodded slightly, slowly slinking back into bed. He crawled under the sheets, burying himself back in his blanket. He didn't want to deal with Y/n this late.

"Y/n!" Mabel giggled slightly, trying to make up for her brother's lack of greeting. "You're lucky I didn't use Ol' Reliable on you! You know I never miss my strokes," she laughed, swinging the club playfully.

Y/n just nodded, not nearly as impressed with her golf antics as Mabel anticipated. She stopped laughing with a shaky sigh.

"So, uh," she started, now feeling awkward herself.

"Why are you even here this late?" It was Dipper this time. He may have been keeping his grudge, but he had laid off just a bit. There was still an edge to his voice that didn't go unnoticed. But Y/n wasn't here to worry about that.

"I'm just giving you back the journal," Y/n said simply, revealing the gold adorned book from behind her back. She took a few steps forward, gently dropping it onto Dipper's bed.

He sat up suddenly, his tone shifting entirely. He seemed genuinely startled at her decision to give back the journal so quickly, and looked between Y/n and the book repeatedly. "Uh... thanks...?"

He was more than confused, if he were to be honest. Y/n had a notorious streak of stubbornness: he hadn't expected to get the journal back for at least a week. But, it had only been what, four days? What was with the sudden change in heart?

"But," Dipper sat up, properly, reaching to his feet to grab the journal. He quickly scanned it over. He didn't know why; it wasn't as if Y/n had messed with it... had she?

No, he chided himself quickly, that's a stupid thought. This was his sister.

The twins quickly glanced at each other, both equally confused, before turning to Y/n. "What made you give it back so quickly...?"

She froze visibly, making the two quirk a bow.

What got into her? Dipper thought, a small frown settling on his lips. She seemed fine the past couple days... right?

Now that he thought about it, she was a little more quiet than normal. But that in itself was a rather normal-Y/n thing. But... the more he looked her up and down the more irregularities started popping up like red flags.

To put it simply, she looked like shit.

In the kindest way possible, of course.

But she still looked like shit nonetheless.

Her hair was more frayed and knotted than normal; it looked like it hadn't been washed properly in a couple of days. Even in the dull moonlight Dipper could make out a sheen layer of grease. Her clothes were rumpled, stained slightly. But the worst offender was her face. She was a raccoon, and he didn't mean it in the cuddly-trash-panda-way that Mabel always seemed to coo over when she saw them out the back of the shack.