End

Pairing: Phan (Dan X Phil)

Warnings: M for possible triggers.
(Brief) Mentions of suicidal thoughts, self harm and abuse.

Word Count: 1311 words

A/N: I'm sorry if you feel as though it is rushed. I wrote this on little sleep while the idea was fresh in my head. Enjoy!

-----------

Phil let out a huff as he climbed the stairs to the roof. He wasn't the fittest person around, but he thought he would be able to climb three stories without panting heavily. Unfortunately, he still had twelve more to go.

By the time Phil reached the door to the roof, he felt as though he had run a marathon. He knew that if he didn't keep going, he would most likely stop and sit down, probably unmoving for several hours. He didn't make it most of the way up just to take a break now.

Swinging the door open, Phil let out a sigh of relief as a small breeze blew past him, cooling him down considerably. He looked up at the sky to see it void of any clouds, allowing the stars to shine with all they had. He knew he wouldn't be able to see them how he would want to, due to the lights from the city, but this was better than nothing.

Looking down again, Phil spotted a figure sitting on the edge of the roof. Curious, he slowly made his way over, stepping next to the man.

"My name is Phil. What brings you out here?" Phil speaks out. The person next to him visibly flinched and turned to stare at him as if he wasn't expecting anyone up here.

'He probably wasn't,' Phil thought. 'No wonder he's surprised.'

"I'd ask you the same thing. It's late you know. Your family is probably waiting for you." The man speaks softly, looking down at the busy streets. Phil's ears perk at the sound of his voice.

'Beautiful face and a beautiful voice.' He thinks to himself.

Phil climbs up and sits next to the man.

"I'm aware of how late it is. The thing is, I don't have a family waiting for me to come back. I haven't even met my soulmate." Phil said. The man turns and stares at him in disbelief.

"You know, you never gave me your name."

"Dan. My names Dan." He replies. Phil nods.

"Nice name for a beautiful person like you. It suits you." Dan just scoffs and swings his legs.

"There's nothing beautiful or nice about me. You should probably leave. I could be a dangerous person." Dan says, trying to rid of Phil.

"I'm pretty sure you couldn't hurt a fly. You don't look like the violent type."

"I couldn't hurt a fly, but I'd kill a spider if it came into my house." Phil smiles.

"Really?"

"No. I would probably scream and run away instead." Dan said chuckling.

"I would try to catch it and throw it outside before killing it."

"How does that work for you?" Dan asks.

"Not well. It never really works honestly. Not with spiders at least. I've caught a few moths and thrown them outside, but I'm not good at catching insects in the first place."

"No, no, no. Moths are just-" Dan shivers comically. Both men burst out laughing, any awkwardness completely gone, replaced with a comfortable air around them. They sit in silence for a few minutes, basking in the comfort they draw from one another.

"So Phil, what are you doing up here anyways?" Phil tilts his head, causing Dan to internally groan at how cute he looks.

"I come up here a lot to look at the stars. I've found this is one of the best spots to look at them." Phil said, gazing at the dark speckled sky above him. He looks down and gazes at Dan, asking him the same question.

"And you? Why are you up here tonight Dan?" Phil asks curiously. Dan gulps and looks down at the streets once more, feeling tears well up in his eyes.

"I.... Well I was going to jump tonight." Dan admits. They sit in silence again, but this time it isn't comfortable. Dan feels stupid and embarrassed, hoping Phil won't make fun of him, the depressed suicidal boy, like everyone else he knows.

Phil's mind is racing. He didn't expect that answer from the man next to him. He was hoping that he had a reason similar to his, not one that was the complete opposite of it. He turns and looks at Dan, this time studying his face closely. He knows, this definitely isn't a joke. But was he really going to kill himself? Will he do it once Phil leaves him? No. He couldn't. Phil didn't know what it was, but he felt a pull from Dan. One that couldn't be seen or explained.

"Why?" Phil whispers into the night.

Dan screws his eyes shut and clenches his fists.

"There is so much to say. By the time I start talking, you'd probably want to push me off yourself." Dan whispers back. Phil's eyes widen at his words.

"I would never ever do that to you Dan. No matter what it is, I promise I won't leave you." Phil moves over and sits with his thigh touching Dan's. He reaches out and grabs Dan's hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

"Well, long story short, my parents hate me, as does everyone else I've ever seen. I get abused at home, bullied and beaten at school. I can never win. All I seem to do in life is fail, and I can't handle that. I probably won't ever find my soulmate. Besides, even if I did, who would want me anyway? I'm just a useless, broken boy." Phil felt drips of water fall on his arms, and realised Dan had started crying silently.

"May I?" Phil asks gently, hand lightly touching the sleeve of the hand he was holding in his own. Dan nods but looks straight at Phil, gauging his reaction.

Phil pulled back Dan's long sleeve and nearly sobbed. Even in the poor light, he could see bruises and scars all down his arm. Most looked like someone else had done it, but some looked self inflicted.

"Did you do some of these yourself...?" Dan nods but is confused. Phil doesn't look the slightest bit disgusted in him. Instead he had a look of worry, concern and.... love? No, it couldn't be. He didn't even know Dan.

"Hey, is that your soulmate mark?" Phil runs his thumb softly over the words on Dan's wrist. It was a bit distorted due to the scars, but he could still make it out.

It was his name on Dan's wrist.

"Yeah." Dan said shortly.

Excited, Phil pulls back and Dan automatically feels a loss of warmth. Phil pulls back the sleeve of his coat and puts it next to Dan's own wrist, showing his soulmate mark. Dan gasps audibly.

"Does this mean-?" Dan starts, staring at Phil's wrist, seeing his own name written on there.

"Yes." Phil says. "We're soulmates Dan." Once again, a silence surrounds them. One where both men could think of only each other.

"What's going to happen now?" Dan asks frightfully.

"You can live with me. We can move away so you don't have to be around these horrible people anymore. We can live somewhere where you will be loved and respected for who you are. How does that sound?" Phil says with a determined look on his face. Dan bobs his head.

Phil moves and climbs off the edge of the roof. He knows that Dan won't do anything now. As his feet hit the ground, he turns and sticks out a hand for Dan.

"Together?" Phil says.

"Together." Dan replies, taking ahold of Phil's hand with a bright smile on his face. Dan slides his fingers between Phil's and intertwines them.

Phil knows that they can get through this. They have a future ahead of them with a whole bunch of firsts to experience with each other. They have friends and family to meet, people that will be important to them.

They have forever.