Chapter Fifteen: "I'll Never Give Up Hope"

Start from the beginning

"Sadly. But, I'll text you. This summer will fly past." Evelyn spoke softly, a smile spreading across her face as Jed pulled her closer, running his right hand down her back and resting it upon her butt. With his left, Jed cradled the side of her face and pulled her into a soft but passionate kiss.

"I am going to... miss you. Miss this." Jed spoke softly as he pulled away, their faces within inches of one another. His voice was like music to her ears. A melody. Like everything was gonna be okay when he talked.

"Oh, come on, Jedidiah Tien. Don't get all soft on me now." Evelyn spoke softly, slipping her hand out of Jed's shirt and placing another and last soft kiss onto his lips before backing up.

"Evelyn Bennett-St. John, you really are something else." Jed spoke softly, that handsome and devilish smile resting on his lips.

"I know," Evelyn spoke softly, lifting her book bag onto her back and pulling her bag to its wheels, "and don't you dare forget it while I'm gone, I'll text you." Evelyn finished before moving out of her bedroom and making her way to the front entrance of the school.

She looked around for a moment before her eyes landed on MG and Kaleb near a deep red pickup truck. She approached them, smiles spreading across both their faces.

"Evie Bennett, as I live and breathe," MG spoke, his tone full of dramaticism and humor as he pulled her into his tight and always-welcome embrace.

"Milton Greasley, best super-friend second only to myself," Evelyn responded with a laugh as she pulled away from MG and turned to Kaleb.

"Killa' K Hawkins, maybe not the most suitable for a vampire." Evelyn laughed as she half-hugged Kaleb, a laugh erupting from both their lips.

"It's gonna be a long summer without you, Eves. Sure you don't wanna join us for the 4th?" Kaleb spoke softly, his smile radiating light bright enough to burn MG alive without his ring.

"I'm sure. Got prior obligations, anyways. But don't be a stranger, call or I'll send a flaming piece of paper both your ways. And you know what they say about vampires and fire." Evelyn laughed, saying her goodbyes before moving off and her eyes soon landed on an all-too-familiar car.

When she saw her mother, Evelyn sort of froze. It was the first time she'd seen her mom since her dad died. Before this, she'd simply refused to see her. But maybe, it was all she really needed. Evelyn let go of the handle to her suitcase, swiftly running into her mom's embrace with tears already clouding her eyes.

"I've missed you so much, mom," Evelyn spoke softly, trying desperately to hold everything in.

"I've missed you too, Evel," Bonnie responded, her arms wrapped around her daughter and a smile on her face. As they pulled away from each other, they were approached by  Lizzie and Josie.

"Hey girls! It's been a minute." Bonnie spoke softly, giving both the twins their hugs before returning to her spot beside Evelyn.

"It's nice to see you, Aunt Bonnie," Lizzie spoke softly, tucking a few strands of her beautiful blonde hair behind her ears.

"I'm gonna miss you guys so much." Josie laughed softly, pulling both Lizzie and Evelyn into a large hug. Before inevitably letting go and saying their goodbyes. But, Evelyn began looking around after a moment, confusion forming on her face.

"What're you looking for, hun?" Bonnie spoke softly, placing her hand upon Evelyn's back softly. For reassurance. That's the thing, though.

"I-um. I don't know," Evelyn looked around, her eyebrows furrowed. Eventually, she turned back to her mom and the smile returned to her face.