Look Down

Disclaimer!!! I DO NOT OWN DC OR LES MISÉRABLES!!!

"Look down, Look down
Don't look 'em in the eye
Look down, Look down,
You're here until you die"

________________________________

Bruce could remember a time before the city went to Hell.

He could remember long summers spent with his parents. Where his mother would bake them something for their Sunday picnics they always had without fail.

He could remember the night they were murdered too.

That was the last time for a long time that he would answer to Bruce Wayne.

He had run.

He run and run until he couldn't anymore. And when he couldn't anymore, he snuck onto a shady cargo plane parked by the Gotham outskirts and let it take him away. He didn't particularly care where he was going anymore, whether it was safe or not. He had always been so sheltered that danger didn't seem too real at first. However, when the plane touched down a day later in the desert, he realized that this may not have been the greatest idea ever.

He was seized at once.

The young Wayne was dragged through room after room until he was thrown at the feet of a graying man sitting on a traditional looking throne.

The man sentenced him to death without even a second glance at him, and for a moment, he felt a flush of relief. Death. That's what happened to his parents. He'd be joining them soon. But that relief was short lived. Panic suddenly gripped his chest as he was thrown into a cell. There was a young girl about his age, maybe a little older, pointing a sword at his throat. She lowered it to his chest and Bruce was sure that she was going to kill him.

But she didn't. Bruce would spent the rest of his life wondering why. Instead she left him there, and shortly returned. She explained to him in an accented voice what she had done. She had gone to her father, and pleaded for his life. She then informed him in an icy tone that he'd "Better be worth it."

___________Line Break_____________

Ten years past, Talia continued her training with the league and "Matches" was to be her apprentice. She informed her father that she must have one, as he himself had had plenty over the years.

Matches Malone, that's the name that the child had given the league. He confided in Talia years later however, that this was not his birth name.

Talia had felt something all those years ago, she hadn't recognized it at the time, but as she was exiting her teen years she learned it to be love.

She was in love with this Bruce Wayne. He had become her best friend. However, her father would never allow her to marry so low below her rank, she knew this.

She and Wayne began a relationship in secret regardless of whether her father would approve or not. However, when she became pregnant, they realized that they must do something to resolve the issue of their secret. They had two options at this point, confess to her father, who would no doubt notice her changing figure soon, or run. Run far away where the league could not reach them. There was no such place on earth, she knew. But they had to try, for if her father discovered this turn of events, the two of them would surely be put to death. The only reason Talia had been allowed to live as a child, as because she was female and therefore could not inherit the league from her father. Moreover if this child was born a male, her father would surely sentence him to death.

This was not an option Talia liked. No, running was their only option.

Word of Gotham closing soon was spreading across the world. If they could get back to her beloved's homeland, then they would at least have SOME form of security from the league.