52 | Mirrored Blades

Start from the beginning

"Are you really Irene?" He asked, to which she raised an eyebrow.

"Who else would I be?"

"No it's just..." He turned his head, and she noticed the faint blush on his cheeks. "I could've sworn you were uglier than this."

Thankfully, Rudien was busy talking to Sarah in that moment — because he would've gotten mad if he heard that. Irene burst into a peal of laughter at Mikael's terrible attempt to compliment her, and he turned red in response.

"I didn't know you were so good at saying nice things." She teased, as the family began to make their way out of the manor to get to the carriages.

Once the Cherlianns finally got into their carriage, Irene gazed out of the window whilst sitting beside her father, her heart racing in anticipation about the encounters she would be making at the banquet.

Today is the day we meet Prince Daniel... She thought, but that wasn't really the main cause of her nervousness. Rather, she wondered if it would be possible for her to make Isabella and Daniel talk to one another this time around.

In the original novel, Isabella went out into the gardens for some air - because Irene had coerced the other noble children to bully and isolate her. So the only reason she went out was so that she could be alone and away from the scrutinising and condescending eyes of the nobles.

It was there that she ran into Daniel, who stepped out because of all the stress building up inside him.

However, since Isabella was friends with Irene now, there was no doubt she would be enjoying herself as opposed to wanting to go out to be alone. If she guessed right, Isabella would most probably stick close by. She and Mikael became better acquainted during her visits over the last few months, so it wouldn't be difficult for her to sit with them.

That would leave Daniel outside on his own, with no one to talk to, and no one to share his pains with. And this would only lead to him staying as the weak prince he was - which could massively affect Laydel as an empire if he didn't get his act together.

I have to find a way to bring Isabella outside... Irene thought, lifting a hand up to her chin in thought as she contemplated on ways to do this.

Noticing her state of deep cogitation, Rudien raised an eyebrow. Her father gently pushed aside the red velvety drape on his shoulders, to pet her hair with a gloved hand.

Irene broke out of her train of thoughts as her father peered into her face. "You okay?" He asked.

She nodded. "I'm just a bit nervous." She assured him, and Rudien smiled softly as he took her hand. Her father's palms were so much larger than her own, and his touch felt tender and warm.

"Don't worry, you're my daughter," he said with ruby eyes filled with love. "No one will be able to do anything to you in my presence."

This brought a slight chuckle from Irene. "Thank you for that, Papa." Perhaps it was a good thing sometimes, having a tyrant for a father. With Rudien's words of reassurance, she felt at ease.

That's right, things will be fine. She told herself, taking in a deep breath as she steeled her resolve for the day ahead. I'll manage to handle things somehow.

After a long ride in the carriage, the Cherlianns had finally arrived at the Atlan's estate — where the grand celebrations were being held.

The grounds and buildings were just as impeccably put together as a royal palace. The gardens around the mansion were flourishing with spring flowers, and the driveway was filled to the brim with elaborate carriages and beautiful steeds. Irene gazed with eyes of wonder at all the nobles, ministers and important figures went filtering into the building with an air of grace and dignity about them.