005. a pack of guilty wolves..

Start from the beginning

"Someone did it now," Geralt noted. Unlike the rest, he had time to adjust with the idea of a change. "I saw her fight and the way she described the Trials is very similar to what each of us went through. There was no way for her to make that up."

Vesemir was not bothered by the idea of a woman joining their ranks. They were lacking men and monsters were not yet running out completely either. What got him gloomed in a pondering concern was the village Azaras woke up into. All that death...

"Then, really, there's only one question we need to ask ourselves," Eskel sighed. He too rolled with the idea rather fast. Witchers met too little with each other and if the fates allowed it, he'd never have to cross paths with this woman again anyway. Truly, if she was to join their ranks, they'll solve the issue of her stealing away their bounties too. "Who made her and why on earth would anyone fund what I imagine is quite the expensive research?"

"War."

Lambert got up from beside Vesemir, drawing out his sword and resting its tip right on Azaras' neck when he turned around. He was the only one who, without a change in passive coldness, was on edge about her very presence amongst with them, infuriated by the idea of having her stay.

Azaras lifted her eyes from the shine of the silver blade, and faced instead the three other golden eyes, not expecting her approach. The matter was concerning her and Azaras had about enough to hostility in silence. "War," she repeated.

Vesemir reached his hand out and placed two fingers on top of Lambert's sword. Their silver weapons were sharp enough for just one touch to cut, so his humble will was pressed where there was no sharpness, pushing the sword away from the woman as an allowance for her to speak.

Geralt knew she was hungry and he was certain some more talking would have had his brothers swayed to reason. But things could be going faster if she joined, only he did not expect the words she just continued with.

"Witchers are handling monsters just fine as long as the people pay, so really, the only other use for more of you could be war."

Eskel scoffed, "We don't engage in that sort of political matters, lady."

"You don't," Azaras pointed out and Vesemir, though looking at Geralt, rathet than turning around to her, smiled. "That's why someone would need new Witchers. Because I, unlike you, don't know your creed's ways, so I just might-"

"You heard the lass," Lambert interrupted and swung his sword once to raise at her neck again. "She doesn't know our ways! She's not one of us."

"She can learn," Geralt answered fast, though calm. His words forced his friend to give up on attacking Azaras, who, spiteful, did not move an inch out of the way. She stared Lambert down, her eyes dark emeralds from cursed lands.

Vesemir stood up and the creak of the seat he left behind echoed in the hall. Azaras could have sworn some of the medallions dangled from a draft just then, clicking an whisper as it watched the tension unfold between the master and his pupil.

"I saw her fight," Geralt insisted. He, too, did not move from the face of an attentive narrowing of Vesemir's golden eyes. "She'll learn our ways..."

"Do you think I don't know who she is?" Their conversation turned to whispers to be shared only between them. "Lords and Ladies have no business holding this much power."

"She already renounced her titles," Geralt was prepared to face this loophole too. "No one's looking for her from Arcapan either. She's as much of an orphan as all of us for all they care."

Vesemir growled lowly and turned his head to the side. That was the giveaway he had finally started considering the perks. Geralt continued, feeling inside just a little more certain than before, "We could use more people. Especially now that new monsters are showing up."