The Oncoming Storm

(1 month later)

It's been a month of healing. My dad and I have done nothing but heal. We haven't heard from Mary in a full month, which is a good thing. For both of us. No matter how heartbroken he is, it's honestly for the best. He's getting better, one day at a time.

Riley hasn't said anyhting to me since he dropped me off after he kissed me. Not one word. He's barely shown up at school and when he does, he flinches away from me as if I'm burning him in some way. It hurts. I thought we were more than this. I have no idea how he feels and it's killing me.

Casper's been helping me though. He's the greatest, and only, friend I've ever had. The people at school still pin me with insults as I walk down the hallway. Casper's there to make sure they don't consume me. Sometimes though there are things that go too far and I end up having to go home. Like I said, this is a month of healing. 

"Autumn! You up?" My dad yells up the stairs. I sigh. He keeps wanting me to get a ride with Casper or take the bus. That's not going to happen. Especially when I have a perfectly working car with my name on it.

"Yeah! Give me a second!" I throw on a hoodie before trotting down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Ready?" My dad is still in his pajamas. Meaning as soon as I leave he's going back in his room. Typical.

"I'm looking for a job after school so don't expect me the same time as normal." I eat the grapes sitting on the counter so he can't yell at me for not eating.

"You don't have to get a job." 

"How else are we going to pay the bills?" I smile. 

"Fine. Now get going. You don't want to be late." He hands me my backpack

"Love you!" I shout over my shoulder as I leave. My car takes a few tries before it sputters to life. Old piece of crap. 

The sky is cloudy as I drive to school. I'm tired of rain. The smell sickens me. The darkness in the sky makes my soul grow darker than it already is. By the time I pull in the parking lot, it's raining, and Casper is waiting for me.

"You didn't have to wait for me." I get out of the car, shielding myself from the rain. I run towards the building to get out of the rain.

"I wasn't waiting for you, princess. I was waiting for my best friend." He smirks at me. I place my hand over my heart dramatically.

"You're cheating on me!?"

"Yes. Her name is Tummy, you woudn't know her." He smiles widely at me. I punch his shoulder.

"Douche."

"Go to english you turd." He replies. I stick my tounge out at him and do just that. My mood dims a little when I see Riley is back for the day. He leans against the door to the classroom. My heart feels like it just got stabbed when he looks at me. His green eyes meet mine. I stop dead in my tracks and stare at him.

"Autumn." His voice sounds like it's pleading. I shake my head and walk into the room without giving him a second glance. 

He tries to get my attention when he sits down in his seat next to me but I can't bring myself to look at him. Not after this month of pure torture. Not after he kissed me and left me without another word. 

"Please talk to me." He whispers.

I snap. "And say what? That you told me you made a promise to make me happy again, then kiss me? Then you don't talk to me for a month, avoiding me at all costs. Tell me now Riley, do I like happy?" I say. He just stares, shocked at what I just said.

"Mrs. Ralphs? Can I go call my dad, I don't feel good." I say. She nods even though she heard everything that I just said. I gather my things and leave Riley staring after me. Now he'll know how I feel.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Now that I have a full day of freedom ahead of me, I'll look for a job. I don't even know where to stop. I text Casper and tell him where I am and waht I'm doing. After he rants to me about leaving him alone again, he helps me.

C - Well, since ur a nerd and u love books, work at B & N

A - Thanks

C - Anything ;) now u owe me

A - Keep dreaming

I shut off my phone and drive to Barnes and Noble, my favorite store of all time. Cas was completely right when he said I'm a nerd. I park and walk into the store. Making myself look as professional as possible, I go to the middle where the help desk is.

"Hello, can I talk to the manager?" I ask.

"You're talking to her. What can I help you with?" A tall lady with dark brown hair and crystal blue eyes smiles at me. 

"I'm interested in a job." I say.

"Well then it's yours." She laughs.

"Really, not even an interview?" I'm genuinely confused. Job interviews actually exist right?

"Don't need one. You look like a good kid, that's all the confirmation I need." She says.

"Okay, when do I start?" 

"How about tomorrow? 4:00?" She smiles. "I'll have your name tag and shirt ready for you then and that's when we'll train you. What's your name?" She asks.

"Autumn." It comes out as a question. Like I don't even know my own name. She holds out her hand.

"I'm Jacklyn." I shake her hand, momentarily forgetting about my visions. They flash in front of my eyes. What I see there shocks me. A certain person revolves around her thoughts. A certain person very close to me.

My Dad.