Chapter Twenty-Nine:

Start from the beginning

Scarlett buried her face further in his neck, "I don't have a c-choice. I'm s-so sorry..."

They stayed like that for a while, neither one wanting to let go, even when all that remained were silent tears.

"Scarlett...I need to call Mum to pick up the kids from school. Let's go inside okay?"

Scarlett nodded weakly, still clinging to him and still very upset, "Okay."

Smiling weakly, Harry lifted her up and into his arms and kissed her forehead softly before bringing her inside and setting her down gently on their mattress.

Rather than use the home phone, he pulled out his cellphone and dialed the familiar number quickly.

His mother answered on the second ring, "Hey sweetie, everything alright?"

Harry shook his head, fighting back the tears that threatened to spill over once more, "No Mum. Uh would you mind picking the kids up from school?"

It was hard enough to hear it from Scarlett herself and now he would have to explain it to his mother, who also adored his wife. Why did life have to be so cruel?

"Honey I don't mind at all. What happened?"

Her voice was laced with so much concern that he lost it all over again, "S-Scarlett's cancer came back a-and she only has about f-four months if she's lucky."

Scarlett linked their hands together, squeezing lightly and leaning her head on his shoulder as he waited for his mum's response.

There was a muffled sound, probably her covering her mouth at the sudden news, before she answered in a softer tone, "I'm so sorry...Do you still want me to let the kids spend the night or...?"

Harry exhaled a heavy, sorrow laden breath, "If you don't mind, I just- I need to spend time with her, romantically or otherwise."

There was a brief pause, she definitely understood, "Alright sweetie, it's not a problem at all."

His eyes fell shut briefly, not wanting to return to crying so much, "Mum? If you could, don't tell them she's sick. Just tell them that Daddy wanted to spend some time with Mummy for their anniversary, Okay?"

"Okay sweetie, I will. I love you."

"I love you too Mum, bye."

He had been about to hang up when her voice stopped him, "And Harry?"

"Yeah Mum?"

"Love her as much as you can, don't waste a single second, Okay?"

A small smile found its way to his lips despite the tears that fell freely, "I will, goodbye Mum."

"Bye sweetie."

* * *

Harry's hand traced lightly over Scarlett's smooth skin, trailing down her arm and lightly caressing her fingers before linking their hands together.

"It's not fair..." He muttered more to himself than anything.

Scarlett laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes, "I know."

Comfortable silence consumed them for quite a while before Scarlett nudged his foot with hers under the water, "The candles are almost out."

Harry placed a kiss on her collarbone, humming softly before he spoke, "I suppose that means we'll have to get out soon then. Anything specific you'd like to do?"

"No, I just want to be with you."

He gently turned her so that he could kiss her deeply, his hands pressed to her cheeks, "I love you."

His thumb caressed the curve of her face and she smiled softly, "I love you too Harry."

"Let's get out now, water's a bit cold anyway."

Scarlett nodded and stood with him, the chill of the air quickly hitting their skin and causing her to shiver.

Harry was out in moments, wrapping her small frame in a fluffy white towel before doing so to himself.

She'd moved to head into the bedroom when he stopped her, "Where do you think you're going?"

Confused, she shrugged and simply stared at him, "To the bedroom?"

Harry chuckled lightly before kissing her cheek and lifting her up into his arms bridal style, "Thought so, not without me you're not."

Despite her low mood she giggled into his shoulder, wet curls tickling her skin, "Okay."

Neither bothered to get dressed, falling back into an old habit in the absence of their kids.

The rest of the night was more kissing and cuddling than anything else, if anything, it was harder to resist anything now considering the limited time that they had left together. Neither were going to complain a single bit.

It was around one in the morning, when they were each half asleep, when Scarlett spoke so softly that he had barely heard her, "I'm sorry I did this to you."

Harry shook his head and held her tighter, "I'm not; I went willingly."