Chapter Twelve:

Harry

He had gone out for a majority of the day, interview after interview, hoping that he could land a job, he was exhausted.

By the time that he had returned to Scarlett's apartment, his heart had broken.

Scarlett had gone out and bought some drugs and relapsed. He'd found her passed out, half of her body falling off the couch, a bottle of vodka in hand and an empty bag on the table.

He checked her pulse to make sure she hadn't overdosed again and was relieved when it was fairly normal.

"I won't let you keep doing this to yourself..." He spoke more to himself than anything as he lifted her up and carried her to her bedroom.

She awoke hours later to hear him on the phone in the kitchen and tiptoed out to listen silently.

"Mum I don't know what to do. I thought I helped her with it but I came back from looking for a job and she had already relapsed. I can't watch her do this to herself and I certainly can't leave her."

His mother replied on the other end but all Scarlett could hear was a muffled woman's voice.

"No, I don't have the money to do that right now, if I did I absolutely would."

He shook his head and ran his free hand through his hair, "Mum I can't do that. Thank you but I wouldn't feel right about it."

He sighed loudl after another muffled response, "Are you sure?"

"Okay. Thank you Mum, I really appreciate it and I'll get it back to you as soon as I can."

"Alright...yes, I love you too Mum. Bye."

He set the phone on the counter and looked up only to notice Scarlett standing in her doorway with a look of sadness consuming her lovely features.

"You were talking about me weren't you?" She asked in a low volume, upset with what she knew was happening, but he heard it nonetheless.

He didn't bother lying to her, "Yes, I was."

A few tears fell loose as she replied, "I'm sorry...I tried not to but it was so hard and you weren't here..."

In seconds, his arms were around her, holding her close as he clarified, "I know Scarlett, it's okay, you're okay."

"I can't stop it. I don't know what to do." She cried into his shirt as he held her even closer, if that were even possible.

His hand smoothed her hair and he kissed the top of her head, "I know sweetheart, I know."

"P-please don't leave me..."

"I'm not going to leave you Scarlett, especially like this."

                       * * *

A week of recurrent relapses passed before his mother's check came in the mail. He hadn't told Scarlett of his plan because he knew it would upset her and he hated it when she was upset.

It was the only true way to help her.

"What's that?" She asked as she leaned her head against his shoulder, curiously eyeing the envelope with his name in pretty writing on the front.

Harry hesitated in his answer, taking a deep breath before growing the balls to actually break the surface for what he had to say, "Something from my mum that I need to talk to you about..."

Scarlett pulled away already upset, "Is it what I think it is?"

Harry nodded and she was up and in her room within seconds, shutting the door behind her.